First day back for a couple of weeks!

• 15 Replies

Dan78

• Experienced Member
First day back for a couple of weeks!
« on: January 17, 2010, 16:31 »
And boy did it feel good :) Was beginning to think the weather had something against me and my new plot!! Was nice to see a couple of other people down there too.. Was wondering if I was the only person that could only get there on weekends!

it appears I have a little standing water on some of the plot and it appears that digging over is nearly impossible as the soil is so wet!!

I did manage to mark out 2quarters of the plot though and cut all around the edges and put a path in. Pretty impressed now I can see what im aiming for. Think i will have 2 quarters all dug up for crops and then beds (maybe raised) in the other quarters. Hopefully will get these 2 first corners dug by spring then I can work on the others later in the year!

I would put a pic up but not sure people want to see what is mainly grass with some trenches cut out? lol

Anyone else been back to their allotments this weekend after the snow ?
Off for a hot bath now.. its definately needed!!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: First day back for a couple of weeks!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 16:36 »
I popped down briefly today, but soil too wet to do anything with that. Took down some old compost from last year's tomatoes, which I put in my only raised bed.

I'm trying a trick from one of the neighbours who does that, he grows his first lot of spring onions in there, having started them in modules & he has crackers.

Also managed to empty out the horse poo that was frozen soild in the bags and brought the bags home for the neighbour to refill!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 16:57 »
Not sure I follow what trick that is for the onions, DD.

And Dan78, remember that you can do more harm to the soil than good if you try to chop through any frozen stuff. It's hard to resist as we're all champing at the bit to start the new gardening year  :happy:

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 17:20 »
Thanks Trillium.. How come it can be bad for the soil ? Sorry im new to all this :)

Soil was soaking wet though so not frozen luckily! Had been avoiding it when i thought it would be frozen!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 17:20 »
Not sure I follow what trick that is for the onions, DD.

I suppose it's fertile & free draining, but it werks fer him and it's somewhere to dump the old compost.

The level of soil at home has risen somewhat in the last 32 years!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 17:23 »
Thanks Trillium.. How come it can be bad for the soil ? Sorry im new to all this :)

Soil was soaking wet though so not frozen luckily! Had been avoiding it when i thought it would be frozen!

If it's soaking wet, you compress the soil structure by standing on it and you end up with great clods instead of a fine tilth, (if ever you managed one!).

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 17:26 »
I tried to dig out a parsnip for dinner earlier - could even break the surface standing on a spade or fork.  >:(

I have a currant bush to move and a quince to plant and theres more snow forecast for Wednesday.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 09:21 »
I'm going this morning - I've told myself I will go at 10 o clock but am slightly dreading it.  :unsure: have also promised myself a nice hot bath afterwards if I get plenty done.  :)  My soil is quite sandy and free draining so hopefully I will be able to walk on it, otherwise i will just tidy up along the paths (weeds, old sunflowers etc)
Rachael

harry

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 13:07 »
I managed a couple of hours on sunday clearing part of my new plot. I've got a big pile of stuff now to go on the compost heap. :mellow: :blush:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 13:40 »

I spent the afternoon yesterday at my plot, trimmed back overhanging branches from some trees/hedge, shored up the side of one bed, and filled in and prepared for some others.
Marked out most of my beds, not sure to to put my strawberries (from another thread!) though...lots to do, but little by little...

I'm with DD on the early stuff, am trying some early spring onions/carrots/beetroot as soon as I dare, start in modules at home (conservatory) then cold greenhouse (maybe a little paraffin heat) and then under fleece tunnels.

Also just started to chit some Rocket (first early) and am going to go as early as poss in a half barrel...and am acquiring a shed from a neighbour who is packing up, so am well excited!!

Bring it on!!!

Phill  :) :)

The Cats Mother

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 14:11 »
well, i went, i dug!  :D

only one of the beds and a wee bit round the edges, was surprised the soil was not too heavy, but i did not grow anything in there last year and was dig dig digging in a bid to shift a lot of thistles and pulled loads of rooty weedy things out

so today, it was quite grassy but not deep so i turned it all over.

i am glowing, went up in a jumper, cardi and coat...soon had the coat and cardi off!!

harry

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 14:29 »
Yes i had a big coat on and finished up in shirt sleeves, my joints are aching a bit this morning :D :ohmy: :wacko: :wacko:

The Cats Mother

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 14:50 »
yes, i may not be so smug tomorrow!  :blink:

i consoled myself with some leftover trifle :D ..yum!!

goodegg

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 14:56 »
i moved chooks from fruit cage where they have been over winter to keep it clean and fertilize it .then cleaned one of my raised beds of weeds and debris its  now ready to plant when i have plants to go in, finished of filling another raised bed and planted it with early spuds arran pilot taking chance on weather should be ok we dont get heavy frosts over here . i hope ha ha.ive also planted spuds in greenhouse just to have a feed they are. home guard.very tasty earlies spread chicken poo on veg patch ready to plough when weather givess me some sun to dry soil i would like to wish everyone a  great growing season for 2010.all the best eddie.

bigben

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 15:15 »
goodegg - I am jealous - planting spuds in Jan is great - I hope you dont get frost!

xx
been a couple of weeks I think since I last posted - here's progression in pics

Started by issyb on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 17, 2011, 09:59
by RigsVilleBird
xx
just a couple of photos

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2007, 09:02
by brucesgirl
xx
A couple of questions - can anyone help?

Started by bedifferent on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 02:22
by gobs
xx
a couple of questions??

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 08, 2007, 15:46
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 33 queries.