Motor Car Insurance is due VERY soon now

• 8 Replies

mrs bouquet

Motor Car Insurance is due VERY soon now
« on: May 31, 2019, 12:17 »
Anybody got any ideas or advice on where to go with this one please.
On my desk I have Shelias Wheels, (who I have been insured with for the last 4 years) The AA, Age UK, and a leaflet from a local broker.  My stomach goes over every time I look at them, because of the questions and answers etc.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Motor Car Insurance is due VERY soon now
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 13:37 »
Tempting new customers with special rates for a year and then bumping up the renewal premium (presumably in the hope the customer doesn't notice or can't be bothered to check the competition) is almost the rule rather than the exception these days (and not just with car insurance.)

You've been with the same company for 4 years so presumably are quite happy with them - to see how competitive they are on price you'd need to get further quotes which can be done online using a comparison  website so you only have to answer all the questions once.

Still a bit of a chore though, especially when you start playing around with excesses and 'extras' to find out what effect that has on the premium.

Personally I've never got anywhere looking up reviews of car insurers - people seem to hate all of them equally (including all the ones I've ever used!  ::))
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 15:06 »
Two years ago we changed to NFU Mutual because of the good reviews on Which? mag and other people's experiences. It's not the cheapest but it's really good value for money.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 19:03 »
It might be an idea to try your bank, Mrs B.

We saved a lot of money going back to Lloyds, but stayed with Churchill for breakdown insurance, because they were so much cheaper!

I don't care much for 'bolt-ons' like legal stuff, as that's usually a rip-off, so for you to get from A to B in your car, just try and stick to the basics, and disregard the waffle if you can!

Always ask here when you want help or advice, we're probably better than some of the more dubious comparison sites! You're among friends for one thing!

sospan

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 10:55 »
Two years ago we changed to NFU Mutual because of the good reviews on Which? mag and other people's experiences. It's not the cheapest but it's really good value for money.

+1 for NFU mutual.  I had have quite a lot of insurance with them. After switching my Van insurance to them 5 days later I was the victim of a road rage incident and had my vehicle written off.  They took care of us really well. Worth paying for the extra in my mind.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 15:23 »
Yo sospan, thanks for that! We all want to save money on various essential necessities and may get lucky but it's only when something goes wrong that we realise a degree in reading small print might have been useful. NFU have an office in town so we could actually speak to someone in person for a change. If there's one near you then go and see what they have to say because there's nothing lost in trying.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 21:07 »
By George!

NFU have an office about a bike-ride from here, so as they always pop me an email when it's due (the insurance, not the bike-ride), I may well give them a pop next time!

I even met the manager once and she was charming, so that's worth an individual discussion..;0)

(Shaddup, Growster, remember your vows all those years ago..;0)

jezza

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 22:02 »
Try NFU I have van and public liability insurance with them when some one backed into the side of my van 20 years ago I phoned them and asked for a claim form sorry said the very nice assistanymt but your claims being processed  get home recovery will be picking the van up in half an hour got a hire van next day had it for 10 days even though the other person wouldnt give their details did repair then sorted every thing out  very good company ask for 5 year under taking that way the insurance price is fixed if the close you get all the premiums back if you stop you pay the premium I have my liability insurance that way  jezza

grinling

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 21:24 »
hubby does comparison sites but so far no one has beaten Saga.
You should have on your renewal what you paid last year as that is a requirement
Direct line does not do comparison sites

xx
Van insurance

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post August 11, 2022, 16:23
by New shoot
xx
Car insurance time

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post September 27, 2022, 23:03
by jezza
xx
Car Insurance - Update

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2019, 19:41
by grinling
xx
Car Insurance Renewal

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post June 19, 2021, 17:33
by jezza

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 48 queries.