dehydrating

• 35 Replies

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
dehydrating
« on: August 20, 2012, 19:09 »
after success with onion, garlic and perp spinach I've just put in some thinly sliced courgette, at last, and some huauzontle will keep you posted.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: dehydrating
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 00:52 »
I did a load of courgettes last week and yesterday I did a batch of celery, plus I've done several batches of herbs. I'm not sure whether or not to do onion and garlic, because as long as my crop keeps ok they don't really need to be dried.

I suppose the acid test is rehydrating and actually using them, because in the end that's the bit that decides how useful they'll be and it's the bit where my Mary Bell book comes up a bit short on guidance.

I'd be fascinated to know how you got on with the perp spinach. I was toying with trying that, but just couldn't figure out how the heck you'd separate and spread it out after blanching it. Regardless whether you boil or steam blanch it, any of those leaf crops tend to kind of clump together into a seaweed like mass. Though according to the Mary Bell book, it sounds like that's about the only veg that's usable as a side veg after drying and rehydrating, as supposed to just chucking it into a casserole.

Another thing I haven't figured out is how to estimate quantities with dried veg. I mean, how many bits of desiccated chopped onion = one onion?

Madame Cholet

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 07:11 »
I did a load of courgettes last week and yesterday I did a batch of celery, plus I've done several batches of herbs. I'm not sure whether or not to do onion and garlic, because as long as my crop keeps ok they don't really need to be dried.

I suppose the acid test is rehydrating and actually using them, because in the end that's the bit that decides how useful they'll be and it's the bit where my Mary Bell book comes up a bit short on guidance.

I'd be fascinated to know how you got on with the perp spinach. I was toying with trying that, but just couldn't figure out how the heck you'd separate and spread it out after blanching it. Regardless whether you boil or steam blanch it, any of those leaf crops tend to kind of clump together into a seaweed like mass. Though according to the Mary Bell book, it sounds like that's about the only veg that's usable as a side veg after drying and rehydrating, as supposed to just chucking it into a casserole.

Another thing I haven't figured out is how to estimate quantities with dried veg. I mean, how many bits of desiccated chopped onion = one onion?

I've just done the onions which were damaged and couldn't use up straight away, did them in rings so you could work out easier how many, and so they don't fall through the holes.

I haven't blanched anything yet, seams a waste of boiling water and time, the 1st lot of spinach looks nice and green in the jar, I just washed it removed the stalks and spread it out. did the same with kale that was ok too.

I have just checked the cougettes are nearly done.

Got a load of toms in the freezer from last year might make up a sauce with courgettes onion and garlic and spinach or Huz for an instant meal just add pasta and cheese.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 08:43 »
Re your side veg question, Shokkyy - must admit I do use most of my dried veg in casseroles, pasta sauces, chillies and the like and chuck in a handful without really bothering about measuring anything.  

I dried lots of french beans last year.  Rehydrated and cooked in a spicy tomato sauce, they were a lovely side dish.  Courgettes or greens would work this way as well.  If you think braised or cooked in sauce, rather than boiled or steamed, I reckon you could come up with a lot of ideas  :)  Mushrooms and their soaking liquid made into a wine and herb sauce,  greens or celery in a stock based sauce thickened into a gravy.  

Some veg is good to eat just as it is.  Dried tomato slices are lush and can be torn into bits over salads or stirred through pasta with a bit of olive oil and basil.  I also tried them soaked in minimal water with herbs and olive oil added, then chucking them in rice and pasta salads over the winter last year with great success.  Have dried peppers this year to use the same way  :)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:13 »
Tried any runner beans? I've got a mountain of them at the moment. I'm just wondering if they'd go a bit tough if I dried them.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 09:18 »
I don't grow runners as OH detests them, but the french beans I dried were the large tougher ones I has missed picking.  Cut up, blanched and dried, then rehydrated and cooked slowly in sauce, they were transformed  :D

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 09:59 »
Tried any runner beans? I've got a mountain of them at the moment. I'm just wondering if they'd go a bit tough if I dried them.

After reading this post I have been inspired to do a little more with my dehydrator. Did runner beans yesterday as a try out. They look a bit uninspiring but will try them out later this week before I consign too many more to the dehydrator.

Did some courgettes, peppers, apricots and mushrooms too, to see if I want to do any more or if I prefer to keep on freezing.

Did some peaches last year, skinned and sliced, dried until they were still a little soft and they were lovely.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 19:30 »
just made a mountain of humus going to give that ago. Aslo a good use for veg would be savoury rice like an indian pilau.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 07:41 »
Courgettes look good just gone in the jars. Just put in 2 trays of humous and 2 of tomato and courgette sauce.

chrissie B

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 10:14 »
i have a friend who is interested in dehydrating so any tips i can pass on would be good  .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Madame Cholet

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 17:52 »
i have a friend who is interested in dehydrating so any tips i can pass on would be good  .
chrissie b
I'm a bit green but I'll let you know what happends MrsBall and new shoot are the guru's

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 18:54 »
I dried lots of french beans last year.  Rehydrated and cooked in a spicy tomato sauce, they were a lovely side dish.  

As it happens, they just posted a runner bean/tomato recipe in Kitchen Garden Recipes (Cevenol Kitchen) and it's lush. It is more effort than plain vanilla green veg, but it has to be said it's much nicer. I've picked 2 kilo of runner bean and 1 kilo of French bean today, so I've split them in half, frozen half and I'm currently drying the other half. I've barely scratched the surface of the crop yet, there's loads more on the plants, and that lot would take an awful lot of space up in the freezer. So if they'll work well from the dehydrator, that would be a much better way to go. I've been stunned how tiny everything comes out of there, so it certainly reduces the storage space an awful lot. I just need to work out the rehydrating side of things.

New Shoot - do you blanch your beans before drying, or not? And about how long does it take to rehydrate runner/French beans? Mary Bell seems to recommend minimal water but doesn't really say how long each veg will take.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 19:37 »
Finding this thread really interesting, I like to hear experiences first hand rather than in a book written by an expert. This is a subject I have started to research recently as a way of reducing the space for storage, and some people say that the nutrients are better preserved when food is dried properly.

Can anyone recommend a dehydrator which will be good for a two person household who are planning to be as self sufficient as possible....and any to avoid? PM if you would rather.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 20:07 »
New Shoot - do you blanch your beans before drying, or not? And about how long does it take to rehydrate runner/French beans? Mary Bell seems to recommend minimal water but doesn't really say how long each veg will take.

I do blanch beans before drying them and if you use warm water, it takes about an hour to rehydrate fully.  I was using the slowcooker to make my spicy tomato beans, so I chucked them into the slow cooker with their soaking water when they were about 1/2 way there  :)

As regards the rehydration side, it does depend on how much water content the original veg had.  You get used to how much goes in, to what comes out of the dehydrator, so its a question of working backwards off that  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 20:14 »
Finding this thread really interesting, I like to hear experiences first hand rather than in a book written by an expert. This is a subject I have started to research recently as a way of reducing the space for storage, and some people say that the nutrients are better preserved when food is dried properly.

Can anyone recommend a dehydrator which will be good for a two person household who are planning to be as self sufficient as possible....and any to avoid? PM if you would rather.

I've got this one (bought second hand) and can recommend it, although it is not cheap to buy new  :ohmy:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ezidri-Ultra-FD1000-Food-Dehydrator/dp/B000VY4Q8W

My house is pretty small and I don't have room for a massive freezer, so the reduced space dried fruit and veg takes is a real plus to me.  My dehydrated store cupboard is building up nicely and needs a sort out, but I'll take a pic when its looking presentable so you can see how much you can get into a small space  :D

xx
Dehydrating potatoes

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post September 30, 2013, 10:34
by Aunt Sally
xx
Anyone tried dehydrating mangetout?

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 16, 2014, 07:56
by New shoot
xx
Dehydrating experiment

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post September 24, 2012, 07:46
by tosca100
xx
Dehydrating Machines

Started by goldendaisy123 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

22 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 09:25
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 39 queries.