Onions from seed - 2014

• 353 Replies

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Onions from seed - 2014
« Reply #255 on: March 26, 2014, 13:17 »
My onion seedlings have started to yellow at the tips, any ideas why they would do that? the 2nd leaves have started yellowing as well. They have had 2 or 3 dilute feeds with a liquid seaweed and apart from that just watered when they need it (maybe over watered?). Also they were on a windowsill and the window has been slightly open for a few days. Maybe the cold got to them? Hopefully they will bounce back!

gobs

« Reply #256 on: March 26, 2014, 21:07 »
My onion seedlings have started to yellow at the tips, any ideas why they would do that? the 2nd leaves have started yellowing as well. They have had 2 or 3 dilute feeds with a liquid seaweed and apart from that just watered when they need it (maybe over watered?). Also they were on a windowsill and the window has been slightly open for a few days. Maybe the cold got to them? Hopefully they will bounce back!

They could yellow from over-watering.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gobs

« Reply #257 on: March 26, 2014, 21:10 »
Totty's things just do look embarrisingly impressive.

Totty

« Reply #258 on: March 27, 2014, 18:54 »
I take it your talking about me onions. :D
I've not updated the pics for a while. I'll get some next week

Totty

gobs

« Reply #259 on: March 27, 2014, 19:59 »
Of course. Those chives of yours!

My leeks are that size on harvest.

I only grow a very few big varieties of anything but it's good to look at.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #260 on: March 27, 2014, 20:09 »
These are my show onions started first week in January... they have had light for 24 hours a day and kept at about 17-21 Deg C.. and now have out-grown the light box so into the conservatory they have gone.

onions 2L_rs.jpg
onions 1L_rs.jpg
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

gobs

« Reply #261 on: March 27, 2014, 20:27 »
Just wait, when they out-grow the conservatory! :lol:

gavinjconway

« Reply #262 on: March 27, 2014, 20:41 »
 :D :D :D

Totty

« Reply #263 on: March 27, 2014, 22:26 »
Looking very nice!

Totty

gavinjconway

« Reply #264 on: March 27, 2014, 22:36 »
Thanks Totty... It's the first time with a light box that I made up myself.

Totty

« Reply #265 on: March 28, 2014, 17:37 »
Well it certainly works! I've not used lights for onions before, but to be honest I'm astounded at how much difference if makes.

Totty

CDave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #266 on: March 29, 2014, 21:35 »
Quick update from me.

At the beginning of January I started off Alisa Craig (AC) and Bedfordshire Champion (BS) in trays - in a propagator on a windowsill. They did "ok" and were transplanted into individual modules on 20th January. On 8th Feb these went into an unheated polytunnel in an internal section with bubble wrap protection. How I hated transplanting though!

On 28 January I started off - maybe 25-30 AC and BS seeds in an 8 inch pot. Again, with heat, in a propagator. These went into the unheated polytunnel (treated the same as the individual cell grown plants) on 15/2.

The best plants by far are those that were sown in the 8" pots and were not transplanted. They are thicker, greener and have more leaves. Of course, I don't yet know how any of the plants will fare in the open ground, but so far, those planted together in the pots are well ahead. In terms of effort, these were so much easier too. When it comes to transplanting - after hardening off, I plan to was the soil off the roots to untangle them - so I don't envisage that separating the plants will be a problem.

I'll take some pics at the weekend to show you the difference but in the meantime thought it would be worthwhile sharing my experiences so far.

How's everyone else's plants coming along?

As promised - some pics. You can see that the plants in the pot are so much stronger than those planted earlier and transplanted. Both groups of seeds were started in a propagator - Those in the modules ere started earlier and transplanted. Those in the pot were sown in the plot and haven't been touched. Both groups of plants have been in an unheated poly tunnel since 15 Feb. Of course I don't know what the final results will be - but for now - the group in the pot that haven't been transplanted are winning hands down.
Durham-20140329-00255.jpg
Durham-20140329-00254.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #267 on: March 30, 2014, 09:08 »
Yes, but the ones in the pot will receive a bigger shock when they get split for planting out..... all may end up the same  :D

Let us know.

CDave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #268 on: March 30, 2014, 09:51 »
Yes, but the ones in the pot will receive a bigger shock when they get split for planting out..... all may end up the same  :D

Let us know.

Well they will both have a received one shock each - one later than the other!!!

I'll be splitting the onion pot really carefully and washing the compost off the roots so hopefully, there will be minimal disturbance. I've just remembered that I've always sowed leeks in the same way - and not had any problems - admittedly they are different plants though. Only time will tell - but I'll post an update when I plant them out (with some pics) and maybe a couple of other updates as the year progresses. Dave.

Totty

« Reply #269 on: March 30, 2014, 15:47 »
I stick all my reject show onions and leeks in pots like this. The plants have a deep root run compared to the modules, so not really a surprise that they get off to a flyer. So long as you can keep them going until they get stuck outside, they will probably do just as well if not better than the others. They won't mind root disturbance too much.

Totty

xx
onions from seed 2014

Started by Dave NE on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 11, 2015, 13:48
by Dave NE
xx
onions from seed

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 22:22
by gobs
xx
Onions from seed?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 15, 2017, 11:12
by New shoot
xx
Help onions going to seed!?

Started by cheadleplotter on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 09:28
by yummy

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 38 queries.