poly tunnels / green houses

• 6 Replies

new_2_veg

« on: July 09, 2007, 15:15 »
can i grow much veg inside?

its just a thought that i have a hot sheltered corner in my garden i was going to convert into a new rased bed but have now thought that a small tunnel would work nice in there and i wouldnt have the worry of burds etc
whats your thoughts?

i would get a 2mx3m in there, nothing huge but i thought it was a nice size

nathan
2 allotments, long standing back problem, am i mad?

splodger

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 17:37 »
oddly enough - you don't want it too hot - so a more sheltered spot would be advisable.

but you should be able to grow lots in there - go for quicker growing things - that way when the light goes on the "shorter days" you've had most of the crops :wink:

new_2_veg

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 18:19 »
it doesnt get the sun all day, as a rule it doesnt get much wind, it gets sun and shade so i thought its a winner allround

is there anything i cant  realy grow in there?

splodger

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 09:56 »
i think you should try a good mix of everything - nothing ventured nothing gained :wink:

it might be worth keeping a record of the results for future reference - i would record germination times too - as these would vary from outdoor sowings.

new_2_veg

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 10:30 »
yeah thats na good point, i was told if i can line it i should be able to grow salad crops mid winter so will see

its on order ive got a 2m x 3m coming and aim to get it up a week on sat

nathan

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 16:32 »
It will get very hot Nathan!  My tunnel is 24ft long, and gets over the temp gauge on lots of occasions in the summer!  Its regulary 38 to 48°C in there, even in the winter!  I always grow tomatoes and chillies in there.  Last year I grew some brassicas, but as the polythene is the white translucent stuff. they do tend to bolt a bit, and had loads of catterpillars and whitefly.  Also stuck all my left over seed spuds in there, but again, they were all top growth, but not much spud!  Oh and I planted some carrots in a big plastic box which did alright too for carrots for Christmas!!  although they weren't very big.  And my leftover leeks were in there.  They do a clear poly which they say is for growing stuff, the translucent white is supposed to be for growing on, or so I've read, but if you buy a polytunnel, they nearly always come in white!!!

Oh and my cucumbers are better in there, and my melons were last year until they suddenly dropped of at grapefruit size, without ripening.

This year I've tried some peas, runner beans and butter beans, which are looking quite good.

The only other thing is, the ground does get VERY dry and I always feel an idiot walking down the garden in the pouring rain with my watering can!!!

Rather than line the whole thing, this winter I'm going to try some cloches inside and fleece to cover some of the veg, as I want to try to grow stuff for longer than is usuall outside, so be interesting to see how it all goes eh?

new_2_veg

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 16:57 »
yeah, well im going to grow a few things as a test and see how i get on

i wonder why there was aload of catterpillers in there, wouldnt of thought they would of been a problem in there

well its only 3mx2m so not huge but ideal for the size i have to fill.

a freinnd of mine is getting it for me but have made a bit of a boob shall i say and has got 2 coming so i will have one to get rid of.

its the style of a moveable greenhouse but built as a  tunnel, his dad has had one for a year basicly in the middle of his field and its been great against all the weather etc, and at a bargain price :D

xx
Green house or poly tunnels?

Started by RuthG on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 16:32
by RuthG
xx
poly tunnels

Started by tali on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 15, 2007, 23:16
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Poly tunnels for growing veg.

Started by robbodaveuk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 03, 2010, 03:06
by chriscross1966
clip
Cabbages/Cauliflower In Fleece (poly) Tunnels.

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 15:09
by seaside

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 38 queries.