Greenhouse or polytunnel?

• 3 Replies

brownp

• Experienced Member
Greenhouse or polytunnel?
« on: August 18, 2012, 09:41 »
Hi - I wanted to ask the opinions of those with more experience regarding which is best,a greenhouse or a polytunnel...
I had my mind set on a.polytunnel at the end of the garden. I am pretty much limited to the size and orientation of it ( about 8ft x 15ft).
I've read a few books by polytunnel experts etc and also posts on these forums. The point I keep noting is that most people say that the main advantage of a tunnel is a cost. Ut they often list a number of ways in which a greenhouse is better (eg insulation etc).
I can probably afford to buy a greenhouse for the planned area so cost isn't my main concern (for once) - i'm more bothered that I make the right choice).
So -  if you were given a choice of either a tunnel or greenhouse to fit a certain space- which one would you go for?

Thanks
Phil

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
Re: Greenhouse or polytunnel?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 17:16 »
A Greenhouse all the way, a good one will last almost forever given reasonable care and will be much more versatile.
A tunnel will need a new cover every few years, which is a pain to replace, and the curved walls restrict your movement in it.
So if you can afford it, get the biggest one that fits into your space.

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 17:25 »
Yep greenhouse for me too. Make sure you get extra ventilation, off the peg models never have enough as standard and you cannot have too much, also get as much height to the ridge as possible and a double width door fitted on the lee side of the house. Don't spend too much on staging until you have had a seasons experience of it, make do with tressels and planks to start with, experience will dictate the best configuration for your needs.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 11:30 »
Get the best you can afford. I have a Robinson's and, though expensive, is built to last and has the right number of windows and louvres for good ventilation. Good idea about the staging - make do with whatever for a year then buy good-quality ones. I also have one of those compost trays for potting on, a plastic four- drawer unit from Wilko for my small tools, seed labels, etc, and put my compost in a large kitchen bin with a slide-up top (also from Wilko).
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Greenhouse or Polytunnel?

Started by ytyynycefn on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post September 02, 2006, 19:17
by big green bloke
xx
PolyTunnel Vs Greenhouse

Started by Steerpike on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post September 02, 2007, 20:43
by leeky
xx
Polytunnel or Greenhouse?

Started by miggs on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post September 16, 2013, 11:08
by Kristen
xx
Greenhouse or polytunnel

Started by LeeFrost on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2013, 13:28
by LeeFrost

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 38 queries.