orpington Bantam Beak Problems

• 9 Replies

banty

orpington Bantam Beak Problems
« on: December 19, 2011, 20:44 »
I have three orptington bantam hens I got in the summer, yet to lay so approximately 6-8 months old. Yesterday I noticed that one of them appears to have damage/problem with her beak (at the base where it meets her face/wattle just below the nostrils). The beak has what appears to be black scabs/crust on it and it looks as though the top layer of the beak in that area has come/worn away. Checking the other two they have the same problem but nowhere near as bad. My intitial thoughts were that perhaps they had been trying to peck at something through the mesh and injured themselves in the process, fending off a domestic cat perhaps. However want to check with some experienced keepers as to whether this sounds plausible or whethe there is something 'medical' that I might need to be aware of and what the best course of treatment is either way?

They are kept in a coop/ark with square wire mesh and are free ranged regulary (few times a week often from most of the day). They are fed on growers pellets (was told to do so until they lay) and have a small treat of corn/maize for breakfast most days. They appear healthy and happy and show no signs of being under the weather otherwise.

Any advice or reports of similar problems and resolution would be gratefully received. Thanks.

evie2

Re: orpington Bantam Beak Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 21:01 »
Welcome to the forum banty, any chance of a picture?
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

banty

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 21:43 »
Hi Evie2. Thanks for prompt response. I've just dragged her from her roost at got these three pics, hope they upload OK.
beak1.JPG
beak2.JPG
beak3.JPG

evie2

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 22:34 »
It could be a rub mark, the problem is if the other hens notice any redness, they will peck at it.  Do you have any purple spray to hide and protect the area? 

banty

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 23:02 »
I don't but will happily get some if you think it will help. Is it something like this that I need?

http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Gentian_Violet_Spray.html

Now you mention it it does look like it may have been pecked at already. Wonder if they have injured their beaks which have bled and then they are pecking each other making it worse. Never seen them doing it but guess that doesn't mean it's not happening.

Is there anything I can do immediately, I may have to rely on mail order as I have yet to find a decent poultry supplies retailer locally (east surrey). Given time of year I couldn't have picked a worse time for speedy delivery.

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 09:01 »
I think it looks more like an injury rather than an infection.

To help with beak regeneration you can feed a biotin supplement (vitamin H).  If you have any horsey shops (tack shops or feed merchants) in the vicinity, you should be able to get both purple spray and biotin there (for the biotin, look for one in combination with zinc and methionine).

:)

banty

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 09:31 »
Thanks for the advice and tack shop tip. I do have a couple near me that I have been meaning to check out for bedding etc so I'll give them a try for the spray and biotin. My instinct was it was an injury so glad you more experienced keepers agree. Feels easier to deal with than a medical condition for us beginners somehow. I'm checking all the girls closely morning and night at the moment to check for changes (better or worse) and will try to get the biotin and spray ASAP.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 11:32 »
you will probably find tack shops sell a lot of poultry supplies, also look for some wound powder which helps prevent infection and helps stop bleeding  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

evie2

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 11:37 »
Cornflour can be used as a stop gap until you get antiseptic powder :blink:

banty

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 12:09 »
This is all great advice thank you, its really appreciated. Feel much more confident that I know what I am dealing with and how to go about fixing it. Not nice seeing 'the girls' with a problem and not knowing whats causing it or what to do about it.

xx
bantam orpington

Started by katey on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 01, 2011, 13:12
by katey
sad
Help Very poorly Bantam Orpington

Started by FlyBoy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 22, 2009, 19:46
by Chookster
xx
Anyone want a Bantam Buff Orpington cockerel?

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 16:20
by goldfinch
xx
orpington bantam, good idea?

Started by freshers on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 22:06
by mdueal

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 40 queries.