Oyster Shell

• 5 Replies

Fisherman

Oyster Shell
« on: February 27, 2011, 08:39 »
Does anyone know how to prepare oyster shell for the chickens from fresh shells? Is it as simple as just breaking them up with a hammer?

carolbriar

Re: Oyster Shell
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 09:27 »
I don;t know but something like that.  The one thing I think you would have to do is to sterilise them - probably putting them in a hottish oven and baking them for at least 10 minutes.  These are all guesses - hopefully someone with more experience will come along and advise.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 09:43 »
I'm no expert on this either, but wouldn't you have to tumble the grit to take off really sharp edges  :unsure:

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 19:39 »
Depending where you got the shells fro, you might not need to sterilise them.  On the other hand if they have had live oysters in them recently you would want to make sure that all the oyster flesh was well and truly gone so there is nothing to rot and go nasty.  You could bake them as suggested or just boil them if it's easier.

I don't know about tumbling them to remove the sharp bits.  I have some shells that I dug up out of my garden, which have obviously been there for a long time and have gone quite chalky.  They break up easily so I certainly won't bother tumbling them, I will just crush them into pieces as small as a button.

Where did your shells come from?  Are they fresh? 

Fisherman

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 20:35 »
They were freshly delivered from Scotland and very good they were to.

Good luck with your new arrivals Lindeggs and welcome to the mad but most enjoyable world of chicken keeping. You have no idea how much time you will spend watching them in the coming months. Just wait until you get your first egg  ::)

Good luck

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 11:44 »
My husband loves oysters and I tried reusing the shells, but they are unbelievably hard and dodging flying bits of shell is no joke, they really sting if they hit your face.  I gave up and decided it wasn't worth the bother especially with oyster shell being cheap to buy. 

xx
Does it have to be oyster shell?

Started by grinling on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 11:29
by hillfooter
xx
oyster shell????

Started by neenyneen on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 18:42
by jamima
xx
oyster shell ?!

Started by Tricky on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 11:16
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Oyster shell

Started by Sazzle on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 14:23
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 34 queries.