worming products

• 5 Replies

Denno17

worming products
« on: February 02, 2010, 23:44 »
Going through the list of items that can be bought and a member at the lotties said he uses Diatomaceous Earth. Anyone else use or recommend it? do you need to withdraw eggs? advice please?

hillfooter

Re: worming products
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 01:55 »
I guess you're talking about use as a wormer.  Personally I wouldn't use it for this purpose and from what I've read I don't think it's been scientifically trialed and shown to be effective as a wormer.  Pretty much everyone I know and most on this site use Flubenvet of which there is a heap of posts about its use including several stickies.  There's certainly no justification for using DE when there's a perfectly safe proven broad spectrum alternative with Flubenvet.  There's no withdrawal period for DE as it purportedly works purely mechanically by abrading the worms (so it would only be effective if at all against gut worms).  For eggs Flubenvet also has no withdrawal and for table birds the withdrawal period is 7 days.  

There have been concerns raised about the damage DE could do to a chickens digestive system as well as about a chickens ability to pass DE. see http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/de.htm (but mute the speakers first), and http://www.sprcentre.co.uk/What%20is%20Diatomaceous%20Earth.htm

DE is widely used by poultry keepers as a deterant to prevent an infestation of Red Mite.  In this application it has been shown to be very effective though still not without risk and personally I prefer to use it as a slurry painted on the perches to cut down the suspended dust in the house.  Add it to a disinfectant base and mix to a creamy batter and paint the perches and into corners and crevices to deter red mite colonising the house.  It is less effective in treating an outbreak though, for which you will need to use deep cleaning proceedures and an insecticide but once under control DE helps deter further infestations.

HF
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 01:57 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 21:50 »
I always use Flubenvent and has been very good. Did try the herbal stuff but never worked at all so money wasted.
mrs.ploppy

nicnac

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 23:18 »
where is the best place to get wormer from, as when I spoke to a vet they said they didnt have a clue!!!
a partner, 1 daughter, 1 dog(Harry, but is a girl!), 1 hamster(pilchard), 2 bunnies(Ben & Jerry), 3 fish(Nemo,Beauty & Beast) & 3 chickens(Captain Jack, even though she's a girl!, Buffy & Annabell)

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 06:39 »
Lots of places on the web try googling Flubenvet.  Note there's two strengths 1% & 2.5%.  The 1% is what you need for up to 20 chx.
HF

lisa80

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 08:35 »
we got ours from local cwg but most pet places sell it  :)hubby did have to give them our details when he bought it .

xx
Cleaning products

Started by Blondie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 23, 2007, 09:36
by Aunt Sally
xx
sanitiser products

Started by ginaclements on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 14:39
by neenyneen
question
Where do you get your products from? and other questions

Started by SocksOn on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 21:03
by daisy1990
xx
Anti Pecking Products?

Started by Carrie99 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 06, 2012, 09:33
by Carrie99

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 30 queries.