Info on Oyster shell please

• 13 Replies

trinacooke

• www.freewebs.com/trinacooke
Info on Oyster shell please
« on: February 12, 2009, 20:07 »
Hi all,

A bit of advice please, as I am a newbie, I am learning all the time and brought myself a book on chicken keeping before we got our girls last year - now this book said that it is best not to give Oyster shell as a supliment to chickens diets as it can cause chickens to become egg bound! now reading on this forum on several occaisions many of you say it is a must!?? my girls are laying 2 eggs a day at the moment they are about 32 weeks old now the eggs have good hard shells and the chooks seem very healthy, I do bake the shells of the eggs I have used in the oven and crush them for the girls and they do take these ......

So am I doing right or wrong they have grit at all times and their layers pellets then in the afternoon they have a big bowl of boiled veg trimmings (some fruit/brown bread) and a hand full of mixed corn before bed.

all the best and thanx Trina
Breeder, Judge & Exhibitor of Quality Netherland Dwarf, Hulstlander & Himalayan Rabbits

4x chickens 30x rabbits, 2x dogs, 15x ferrets oh and 2 children and a hubby!!!!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: Info on Oyster shell please
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 20:23 »
I always give mine oyster shell, never had a problem. :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Vember

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 20:29 »
Helps their bones as well as producing the egg shell :)

The way I see it is ...
If the birds don't get extra calcium all they get out of their food goes towards the egg, they'll then get weak brittle bones.
This can also work in reverse and the calcium goes to their bones and then you get the soft shelled eggs .

Always give mine oyster shell :D

Sarah :D

Rhode Runner

• The Poultry Garden
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 20:53 »
Chickens need two kinds of grit. Insoluble such as flint which stays in the gizzard and is used in the digestive system often called "hens teeth" and soluble grit which can be oyster shell or any calcium rich material. This forms egg shell and strengthens bones.
If, as you say, you have mixed grit in with their pellets both soluble and insoluble forms are probably present.

One of the greatest causes of egg binding and prolapse is feeding birds too many treats and making them fat.

Allan
It's not growing old that stops you doing things
Its stopping doing things that makes you old.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 20:56 »

One of the greatest causes of egg binding and prolapse is feeding birds too many treats and making them fat.

Allan

Well said Allan.  ;)

AndyRVTR

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 20:58 »
So how much grit and oyster shell should be given to the birds?

Rhode Runner

• The Poultry Garden
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 21:03 »
There is no definite answer to this question. Most keepers I know, and that is an awful lot, give them mixed grit ad lib. If birds free range they will find a lot of this for themselves as they pick and peck around their range.

Allan

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 21:30 »
I just keep a small pot topped up with mixed grit. Big bag (20kg) cost about £6.50 and will last a year at least. Still get the odd soft egg but not for want of calcium. never had a binder....yet.  :)

Rob 8)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 21:48 »
Layers pellets/mash is formulated to contain everything a laying hen needs for good health and contains sufficient calcium for strong shell and bones...    ... but only if that is ALL they eat.  If they free range and have veg, treats and mixed corn then they will  probably not be getting enough calcium. 

Calcium is absorbed from the diet and passes into the bones, it is then extracted from the bones to make egg shell. So all the calcium for egg shells comes from the bones. 

If your girls lay soft shelled or thin shelled eggs then that means they will NOT have enough calcium in their bones and it can even mean they do not have enough circulating calcium for good muscle contraction which can cause lameness and egg binding.

So as my girls free range a lot of the time and have a few treats and mixed corn in the late afternoon there is always a dish of mixed grit and oyster shell on offer and it's quite amazing how much they get through.

Sparr0wman

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 12:43 »
I thought i would post at the end of this rather than start a new thread.
My chooks are kept in a run and are fed on layers pelets, with corn in the afternoon for treats. And bits of veg if they take it.
Do in need oyster shell? if i do how do i feed it?
I need all the help and advice i can get at the moment, what i'm finding is a lot of tips for individual cases or, as you all know some hens are differnet to the next. So i have to ask what is suitable for me :( sorry

poultrygeist

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 12:52 »
Hi Sparrowman.

The oyster shell is to give them extra calcium which is split between making eggshells and strengthening bones. If they don't get enough calcium coming in, the shells take priority and the bones are depleted of calcium, causing osteoporosis.
If you offer the oystershell, they can take it as and when they need it without overdosing.

For breaking down the corn and greens, they need grit to act as 'teeth'. Without this, the food can clog up the crop and cause infections, etc.

So you need to give grit at all times and the oyster shell will help them to keep topped up with calcium.
Oyster grit is a combination of grit and shell for them to peck at.  :)

Rob 8)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 13:42 »
Hi Sparrowman, you have a similar set up to mine by the sound of it. Yes feed them oyster shell for all the very good reasons Rob has mentioned, I personally chuck a small handful into their food hopper about every other week. I like to give mine a little cod liver oil every now and then too. 1 drop on a piece of bread is soon scoffed.
Surprising how much grit is in a layers pellet, I've got some tadpoles in a tank and I've been feeding them layers pellets, there's quite a few little bits of grit in each pellet it's the only bit the taddy's leave behind.

Sparr0wman

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 14:41 »
My local pet shop has just started stocking chicken stuff, becuase of the growing popularity. She's realy big on birds more than anything else in there anyway so it's only fitting. I've picked up some OYSTER GRIT, and will add a small hand full each week to there feeder just like just like rich ;)
I'm starting to get my head around things with most things having similar names and looking the same as the next stuff. but i hav ebrought up 2 kids so these chickens should be a breeze in the long run :tongue2: ...well we'll see eh?

shiatsusu

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 14:47 »
Ours have access to oyster shell all the time but rarely eat it, they have layers pellets and go out to free range in the afternoon then have some corn before bed. Seem to be doing well on this routine- no soft eggs for a while and they're all settling into their laying routine now. I have got a bag of limestone flour and also some poultry spice to add to the pellets if any problems arise. You'll soon find the routine that works for you and if and when any problems arise this forum has been an invaluable resource for me so I'm sure it will also stand you in good stead.  ;)

xx
Oyster Shell

Started by ness on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 11, 2007, 10:44
by Oliveview
xx
oyster shell ?!

Started by Tricky on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 11:16
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Oyster Shell

Started by Fisherman on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 11:44
by alisonwo
xx
oyster shell????

Started by neenyneen on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 18:42
by jamima

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 35 queries.