Picked up new chooks, and have LOADS of questions

• 20 Replies

chickenlicken

Re: Picked up new chooks, and have LOADS of questions
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 15:50 »
I just ordered Polutry Shield and Diatom last night after scouring the internet for hours for best deals.  We have nowhere locally to buy it either.
The best I could find was www.flytesofancy.co.uk but don't think you'll get it for the weekend now?
It's annoying there aren't more places to buy supplies!

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 22:03 »
Hello :D  flytesofancy are very good, I placed an order Monday and it came the next day!!  They are very good :D

I've never used poultry shield, not needed to YET!  I use diatom and red mite powder in the coop and touch wood no red mites!  I always wonder about using it but don't like the idea of wetting the coop. 

Hens love routines, I let mine out at 7am everyday and leave them to go in at dusk by themselves.  If we are going out anywhere they stay in the run, it's secured.

Roosting - I have 1 girl that sometimes goes in the nestbox, we just place her on the perch when the've settled.  My perches are only just higher than the nestbox.

Dustbath - mine always used a big planter in the garden so decided to let them have that, I put compost/ash and diatom in it.  My new girl hasn't got the idea yet and uses the run floor, but whatever they like I suppose.

Ask questions it's the only way you learn :D

Sparr0wman

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 08:15 »
Thanks for all the replies. this is not only putting my mind at rest but there is lots of helpfull hints.
The links for the Poultry shield are great i think i will have to order from them as i can't find a local supplier.
I might use powder for general cleaning and poultry shield against an attack, good point from smiler about getting wood wet ( i havn't protected the inside of coop.)
i will have to get a smaller drinker aswell, if i'm goint to use ACV and give fresh water daily, i can see a lot of waste and getting expensive.
Also i have put straw down in the coop for now and will be changing to wood chippings, what do other people use in the coop?
using straw in the run and let the chickens turn it over, they seem to be enjoying it.
I'm going to hold them tonight they have been letting me stroke and putting them on their pirch with no problems so should be ok.

How much poop in a morning :ohmy: which has also shown that the pirch is a little too high about 24" so going to lower to 20". and put something in there for them to climb up.

Hoorah! Your first egg! But.. WHERE IS THE PICTURE?!!!!

i have posted in chicken chat but if you havn't seen it, here it is again ;)

shiatsusu

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 09:34 »
Ours have shavings which makes it SOOOO much easier to keep clean. Lovely eggy  ;) Doesn't she look pleased with herself!

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 11:32 »
The hens don't need a window in their house, they go in there to sleep and to the dark nest boxes to lay their lovely jubbly eggs.
cathangirl
[/quote]

I thought that it was good to have a window in the coop to let a bit of light in when the girls are in there during the day, drying out after rain or avoiding the  snow. Its good if it opens a bit for extra ventilation on hot days as well .
[/quote]

:lol: you jest surely 8doubles? My lot only re-enter their house to lay. Rain, hail, snow, gales they stay out in it all! Shelter? they don't know the meaning of the word.
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

8doubles

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 12:47 »
Tough northern chooks eh! :D

Mine will be out in the rain for hours get soaked, then come in and dry out then back outside to get wet again. They don`t like snow at all. Depends on the breed i suppose.

xx
loads and loads and loads and loads of POLANDS

Started by babe on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 18:48
by babe
xx
Planning to start keeping chooks - Some questions I have...

Started by Planner on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 18:02
by bockhamptoners
xx
hen drinking loads

Started by Nefertari on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2012, 10:54
by Nefertari
xx
Chicken losing loads of feathers

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 13:53
by VeggieVirgin

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 36 queries.