Robotic lawnmower.

• 7 Replies

Goosegirl

Robotic lawnmower.
« on: May 27, 2023, 13:46 »
Has anyone any experience of having one as someone near us who was trained at Kew and is very knowledgeable is very impressed with them. Given that I've seen some pics of lawns he's looked after I am wondering about getting one.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Dekzion

Re: Robotic lawnmower.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 18:11 »
A friend of mine has one. I'm not really that impressed as it doesn't even pick up the cuttings, it just continually goes all about the place in an irregular fashion forever just clipping the tips off the grass,
. I wonder just how much thatch he'll have to get out in years to come.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 23:02 »
I wonder just how much thatch he'll have to get out in years to come.

The surprising answer might be... no thatch.  I receive compliments all the time on my lawn. I have lived at the same address for more than 25 years, and have NEVER de-thatched.

The trick is to keep in mind that your lawn is not just grass, it's sort of a small ecosystem.  There are good insects, fungi and other microbes that will break down the clippings into useable organic matter and nutrients to feed the grass. Also, some of the insects are beneficials that eat the bad insects, a reason I do not spray with pesticides or herbicides.

I do apply a balanced fertilizer at low rates twice in spring and early summer. I apply lime when needed. I apply fungicide only when I can see a problem (which is very rare). I never water unless we are in an exceptional drought.

Other than that, I just cut it each week, and edge it every three weeks. I leave it slightly taller than usual when I cut (but neat, not shaggy), which helps control weeds, also helps the beneficial insects.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

jezza

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2023, 07:20 »
Hello a man in my village had a robot mower ,local kids called it Robbie ,then it got called Robbie the Runaway ,some how it had clipped the cable at the edge of the lawn ,its next run it didnt stop the old man got on his computer and managed to stop it before it got into a ditch ,it wouldn't cut in the rain it use to stay in its charging station ,the old man tried his best to make Robbie get out when it was raining Robbie would not have any of it ,we use to laugh because the whole set up cost nearly £8000  and he had a defiant little Robot mower    jezza

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 09:11 »
What Subversive Plot says is similar to what this garden chap says. I employ a firm to put weed and feed on four times a year then they aerate and scarify it in spring and I've never been impressed with what they do and the results I get, so am going to cancel it next year. I'll also get my lawn tipped and not bother with collecting the cuttings. 

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2023, 22:26 »
Just a quick photo so you can see the lawn at Subversive Headquarters. Cared for exactly as stated previously.
16927393368181742243536.jpg

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2023, 08:46 »
Flipping heck! That's fabulous.  :) :) :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2023, 20:36 »
Niiiiice  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Lawnmower help please

Started by Maryann on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 17:25
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
decarbon a lawnmower

Started by adal on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 08:05
by Amilo
xx
lawnmower advice

Started by owein on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 10:40
by Gwiz
xx
Looking for a new lawnmower or brushcutter

Started by Dominic on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 11:27
by Dominic

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 43 queries.