Cylinder head gasket

• 15 Replies

jezza

Cylinder head gasket
« on: January 14, 2022, 17:56 »
Hello does anyone know what the cost of replacing a cylinder head  gasket on a diesel engine is please,,my van might need one next week once the funky oils drained out   jezza

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
Re: Cylinder head gasket
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 08:19 »
It will be expensive hundreds of pounds. The gasket itself is a cheap part but it's the labour to take the head of the engine and replace it.

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 11:39 »
yep bayleaf has got that one rite its an expensive job replacing a head gasket I'm afraid to say Jez unless you know anyone that does what we call homers round here or put it another way someone that does car repairs in there spare time they mite be a mechanic looking for a bit of extra cash

you could go on line and see if there's anyone in your location that does  car repairs at home but either way its going to be costly hopefully its just a head gasket if there's a problem with the head itself it mite need plaining that will really bump the price up is the leak external or internal in other words have you got water in the engine itself or outside running down the block?

as I don't know the make or age of your van its difficult to put a price on the job as most garages usually have a set price for replacing a head gasket as it quite big job

anyway I hope you you get it fixed without to much expense and  let us know how you get on good luck RW

jezza

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 20:47 »
Hello the vans  June 2021 yellow gunk on oil filler cap and oil in coolant bottle,I've had a quote £2400 +vat includes head skimming and parts  jezza

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 15:47 »
Hi Jez that sounds quite an expensive job but then again repairs these days are not cheap and I think that could be the going rate I know some garages round here would charge double for that repair and I would even let them repair my push bike

I am however somewhat surprised that your van being on a 2021 plate needs a head gasket replacing let alone the head needing plaining so did you buy this van new was it form a garage or dealer and did it have any warranty with it when you bought it ?

I know if I bought a van of that age and this happened I would be round the garage or dealership knocking on there door they would not be happy to see me i can assure you  >:(

so from what your saying about the yellow gunk you really need to get that fixed asap before it causes any further problems hope you get things sorted and keep us informed good luck RW

grinling

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 19:50 »
It should have a warranty and if not, then tell them you want a refund or take them to court. A van should last a bit longer than that.

jezza

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 15:52 »
Hello I needed a new van in June I rang the local Vauxhall  dealer on the 14th,the sales man said there wasn't a lot about  then he rang and said that he had found a  Peugeot van at a garage in Gatwick,he asked for a holding fee I had to think very hard about getting it I made it very clear to the sales man that I detest the sight of peugeot Van's  and gave him instructions to find a Vauxhall combo with in 6 weeks,asked him for my deposit back on the 15th and 5 times since as the van is not to the specifications I want,  rang the dealership as soon as I find the yellow gunk got told its condensation with it being new loss of power  1800 revs max is the way I drive he reckons   jezza

grinling

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 11:02 »
https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/yellow-gunk-under-oil-cap/

have a look at this

you have no redress under law for accepting a vehicle you did not want.

jezza

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 11:54 »
Hello Grindling  does that mean I cant get my money back   jezza

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 17:04 »
from what your saying I think the dealership are tying to get out of there obligations to repair your van I've never heard such  a load of clap trap about condensation and yellow gunk in all my motoring years

how long have you been driving and in your opinion do you think its your driving that's caused the head gasket to go because that's a new one on me if the van was getting on in years i would have said its ware and tare but 6 months new ware and tare no way

now you've  got to think of your options try trading standards or citizens advise even Vauxhall customer services are you in the AA or RAC as they could offer you some advise pity you can't get on that TV prog that the prog  name escapes me to name and shame those concerned

I've been down that road the same as you many years ago now we bought a second hand Austin 1100 and the head went on that so I took back to the garage every time I went to see the guy I was told he was out so I went round his house on a Sunday morning he lived in a posh house and was not pleased to see me after a few raised voices we come to an agreement that he would pay for the repair and i would pay for the parts
after the repair we shook hands and parted on good terms and after about 2 years after I bought a brand new Ford Car of him

jezza

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 18:00 »
Hello took van in yesterday early morning the repair place drained the oil and coolant then pressure tested the engine,they found the head wasnt tightened down  enough retightemed all the bolts and retested  its sorted but they want to check it in a month,they wont get chance traded it in for a new Vauxhall combo this after noon,gettingbit Saturday      jezza

grinling

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2022, 18:33 »
that is a great result

rowlandwells

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2022, 15:51 »
its about time they sorted that problem for you all that claptrap about your driving  >:( good luck with that new van and don't forget to check the warranty cover  ;)

jezza

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2022, 07:46 »
Hello I didn't get the nee van I red the reviews about the dealer ship not a good word for them,the salesman wasnt very truthfull when he was chatting to me he never once mentioned that the van had a Stop Start system fitted,nor did their web site mention it I only found out about the Stop Start when I asked the insurance company to change van details,I lgave the sales man a tight rollicking and cancelled the order and got my money back,his pathetic answer was that all vehicles made after 2017 have to have Stop Start fitted ,the Peugeot partner hadn't got it,apparently the stop start can be turned off but this van I was looking to get had no switch it had bern broken and not replaced ,  jezza

rowlandwells

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2022, 16:12 »
what ever happened to that good old fashioned car salesman who would fall over backwords to sell you a car have you got any proper garages who actually want to sell cars or vans where you live one would thought with all this lock down and presumably cars and vans standing on forecourts waiting to be sold they would have snapped your hand of

all those motor businesses crying that there loosing trade not selling anything it begs belief that lack of interest and bad salesmanship on the part of that dealership I think A P45  would be in order for that salesman if was his boss and if the dealership is from what your saying having bad reviews Jez your best stay clear of that outfit

as they say Jez there's plenty of fish in the sea and that goes for good dealerships hope you find what you want with that new van good luck RW

xx
Audience Head-count

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post October 28, 2020, 20:42
by Tenhens
xx
full steam a head

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post January 03, 2022, 18:34
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 52 queries.