Voles in my Lawn

• 25 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Voles in my Lawn
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 09:41 »
Ditto to the cat!

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

8doubles

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 11:37 »
Voles are not as destructive as mice and they normally prefer rough grassland to lawns. I would leave them as they will probably move on.

If you dislike your neighbours and small wild animals in general , get a cat.

tode

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 11:52 »

Aerial surveillance   :D   :D   :D

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 07:29 »
Having identified the invader in my lawn as a vole, how do I get rid of the little perisher! 

Apart from a cat, which wouldn't be a nice option for the voles, the options aren't very nice. Trapping is probably fairly pointless unless you know they are sheltering in a building, shed, greenhouse, garage etc. There are various poisons on the market, at work we sell these by the bucketload (literally) at this time of year when all the little critters are trying to get inside to keep warm. Another option that I have seen used and perhaps the cleanest, is drowning. Get a hosepipe, stick it into the hole and let it run for at least half an hour.

As I said, the options aren't pleasant for the voles, but if you feel they are causing damage...  ::)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Ruby Red

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 09:36 »

For goodness sake.These are tiny creatures who arent doing a lot of harm really are they. Unless you use your lawn for a bowling match, cant you just leave them to get on with their lives. Why do people have to look to exterminate things. I would be delighted to have them in my garden. Live and let live.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

tode

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 10:10 »
I was going to say that mice, crickets and all the other little beasties aren't particularly destructive.  If you've had moles, you'll really know what trouble is   :D

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 14:36 »
Exactly Ruby Red, live and let live becsuse they aren't doing much damage, but the question was asked. Yes Tode, moles make a big mess (in our garden constantly!)

Ruby Red

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 10:51 »
 I live in a beautiful village that is in the heart of the  National Forest. The aforementioned forest is opposite our house and I take our dogs out a couple of times a day. It covers a few hundred acres and you can walk a different path every day. In the last 4 months I have found 9 dead moles. Up to a couple of years ago I had only ever seen 1. I contacted the wildlife trust and was asked to put a couple of them in the freezer to await toxicology tests. The chap on the phone was livid that so many had been found and said it looked like the forestry were poisoning them. He said it was illegal. It really upsets me that while so many people are helping all these wild creatures that others are routinely destroying them or their habitats. The same forestry have annhilated the bottom of the hedges by clearing all the undergrowth. So now all the foxeholes, badger runs and rabbit holes are on full view to the local dogs. They will go elsewhere as they wont feel safe. Sorry rant now over  . . . (for now )

8doubles

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 12:03 »
I live in a beautiful village that is in the heart of the  National Forest. The aforementioned forest is opposite our house and I take our dogs out a couple of times a day. It covers a few hundred acres and you can walk a different path every day. In the last 4 months I have found 9 dead moles. Up to a couple of years ago I had only ever seen 1. I contacted the wildlife trust and was asked to put a couple of them in the freezer to await toxicology tests. The chap on the phone was livid that so many had been found and said it looked like the forestry were poisoning them. He said it was illegal. It really upsets me that while so many people are helping all these wild creatures that others are routinely destroying them or their habitats. The same forestry have annhilated the bottom of the hedges by clearing all the undergrowth. So now all the foxeholes, badger runs and rabbit holes are on full view to the local dogs. They will go elsewhere as they wont feel safe. Sorry rant now over  . . . (for now )
I think you have the answer to the large amount of dead moles there.
 I cannot see what the forestry management would gain by poisoning moles (do they damage mature trees?) or why the person at the wildlife trust should accuse them of criminal activity. Surely a poisoned mole would die underground.
Lots of moles means moles without territories which are easy targets for predators which may kill but not eat them.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 13:41 »
.... I have found 9 dead moles. Up to a couple of years ago I had only ever seen 1. I contacted the wildlife trust and was asked to put a couple of them in the freezer to await toxicology tests. The chap on the phone was livid that so many had been found and said it looked like the forestry were poisoning them. He said it was illegal. It really upsets me that while so many people are helping all these wild creatures that others are routinely destroying them or their habitats. .....

I think you have the answer to the large amount of dead moles there.
 I cannot see what the forestry management would gain by poisoning moles (do they damage mature trees?) or why the person at the wildlife trust should accuse them of criminal activity. Surely a poisoned mole would die underground.
Lots of moles means moles without territories which are easy targets for predators which may kill but not eat them.

I can't comment on the legalities of poisoning moles in England, but I wouldn't have thought the "forestry", presumably Forestry Commission, would be involving themselves in illegal activities?

As for their need to poison the moles I could only guess, from the amount of damage that I do know moles cause, that they feel the very young tree plants will be in danger of uprooting etc. I could understand them not wanting to go back over and over straightening young trees in a huge area of woodland.

Ruby Red

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 18:56 »

As they were all found on the surface we were thinking that they had been gassed rather than actually "poisoned" and the forestry have only cleared the hedges in the last fortnight.Not the last few months.Regarding not in their interest, They have done some dodgy things which have been to the detriment of wildlife and I wouldnt put anything past them.  Unfortunately they seem to be money driven and are more concerned with how many people they get to come to the visitors centre . The chap who lives on the premises had a pair of peacocks who wandered freely. Last year the male decided to make its home in the village and took up residence in our yard . He couldnt have been less bothered. It was there for a fortnight , I fed it as best as I could and rang him. It moved on through the village and was attacked and killed by a dog. I was heartbroken. I cant stand people like that. :(   Last time I mention it honest

xx
My Lawn

Started by digital_biscuit on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 12:21
by arugula
xx
new lawn help please

Started by grinling on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 16:34
by grinling
xx
lawn help

Started by juliec on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 09:31
by juliec
xx
new lawn

Started by CHRIS THE VEG on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2007, 20:14
by muntjac

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 35 queries.