Growing flowers all year round

• 6 Replies

trogg

Growing flowers all year round
« on: October 17, 2009, 00:34 »
Hi all,
 on my allotments most of the plot-holders grow flowers at the front, I was thinking of doing the same.
What bulbs can I plant to get flowers all year round ? or it it just a case of going through my catalogues and working out which seeds to buy and planting them as and when ? 
any idea's ? I am putting in my vegetable seed order in to my allotment society on Sunday (Kings catalogue) , haven't looked at the flowers yet as it has taken me 6 weeks to choose my veg seeds  :wacko:

As you may of guessed, I'm new to all this.

boing boing

DavidT

Re: Growing flowers all year round
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 18:51 »
I`d be inclined to buy flowering that I like, " in season ". And build up the bed like that.
 :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 18:58 »
I`d be inclined to buy flowering that I like, " in season ". And build up the bed like that.

If you go to the garden centre and buy a couple of plants that are in flower every few months you will end up with flowers all year and the outlay gets spread out a bit.
It is a lot of work to grow a border all from seed at the same time as sowing all the veg you need for the plot as wel :ohmy:l... I know I tried it 3 years ago, and either flowers or veg ...something has to suffer! :(

trogg

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 18:39 »
Thanks both for your suggestions  :) and sorry for my late reply ,

I have decided to take it one step at a time, get all the veg beds ready first, then if I have enough time I'll start on the flower area.

It's just that I got my plot 2 months ago and the kids can't understand why I haven't got anything growing in it apart from a few weeds  :(  I thought a few flowers would keep them happy.

DavidT

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 19:13 »
Thanks both for your suggestions  :) and sorry for my late reply ,

I have decided to take it one step at a time, get all the veg beds ready first, then if I have enough time I'll start on the flower area.

It's just that I got my plot 2 months ago and the kids can't understand why I haven't got anything growing in it apart from a few weeds  :(  I thought a few flowers would keep them happy.

Get some garlic, japanese onions and spring cabbage in, that should satisfy the kids. Also get them to help, that should keep them interested. :D :D

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 19:19 »
Now is a good time for bulb planting. If you put crocus and snow drop in now they would flower in spring and die down by the time most other flowers starts.

For something now, try winter pansies, you can buy these as plug plants now. We had a grow show from the ones we put in last autumn. The flowered all winter and well into spring. They are annuals so won't get in the way of what you want to put in next year.

There's some flowers that come up very easily from seed for next year, marigolds are good as they are bright colours, put off bugs and will flower and flower and flower if you dead head them. Perhaps your kids could have a sunflower competition next year too and see who can grow the tallest? Sun flowers comes in a range of sizes/colours too if you want variety. The other easy to grow one is nasturtiums. Between those you'd have a pretty long show of flowers, it helps if you sow a few every couple of weeks or once a month so plants are at different stages of growth/flowering.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 15:44 »

Just noticed yesterday, one of my purple Hebe bushes is in flower again  :(
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

xx
flowers for 1 year

Started by Truffle on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post February 02, 2015, 12:06
by jaydig
xx
Growing flowers for cutting

Started by garddwr on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post September 18, 2008, 17:49
by FRUITFULL
xx
What Flowers are you growing from seed ?

Started by spottymint on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 11:55
by hamstergbert
xx
Sweet Peas still growing from last year

Started by hubballi on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post March 01, 2012, 16:24
by hubballi

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 40 queries.