Egg Bound

• 8 Replies

GREEN FINGERED NOT

Egg Bound
« on: September 08, 2012, 11:25 »
Its been a few years so I seem to have forgotten what I can do to help - one of my girls that is a few years old is egg bound - is there anything I can do to help her at the moment or simply take her to the vets and get an antibiotic jab?  Have just lost one hen because she had a stroke and did not recover so had to go the vets with her, not really wanting to be taking another one for "only one outcome consultation" :(

kegs

Re: Egg Bound
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 12:11 »
Pop her in a warm bath for 20 mins or so.  You could also smear a bit of vaseline around her vent.  Afterwards dry her with a hairdryer on the warm (not hot) setting.  Hopefully that will help but let us know how you get on.  Good luck.

GREEN FINGERED NOT

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 12:29 »
Hi  I did find a post and have had her stood in the sink, however could only get her to stay in it for about 5 minutes, have dried her off and she is stood on the work top looking like she might poo, so will wait and see, the hair dryer seemed to help ???

GREEN FINGERED NOT

Re: Egg - Even after standing in warm water.....
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 13:57 »
She is walking around the garden, but, have not seen her do anything so getting a bit worried, the weather is warm and you can see her straining at times, but, nothing is happening.  Will have to wait and see

GREEN FINGERED NOT

Re: Egg Bound - Still
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 14:33 »
She is no better, still not passed any egg, done a few small poo's, walking around very slowly and eating about a quarter of what she normally eats, any other ideas?

kegs

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 16:17 »
I've only ever used the bath technique, but she'd need to be in for longer than 5 minutes.  You could try smearing some vaseline around her vent to see if that helps.

splash101

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 16:27 »
i think when we had the same problem we puther in a bath for about 20 minutes.
She was still straining so i shut her in the coop so there wasnt any interuptions and she could have some peace and quiet. She passed it fairly soon after i shut her in.
It did take a couple of weeks for her eggs to be normal again.

GREEN FINGERED NOT

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 15:41 »
I have put her in the warm water today again and then used the hair dryer to dry her off, she is stood and then sitting quietly in the kitchen at the moment so will leave her along for the rest of the afternoon to see if she does anything - she is managing to poop but obviously she needs to pass what ever is stuck, the thing is she is the bottom of the pecking order and has always been thin so feeling unwell she has such a small appetite that I feel I really need to go the extra mile for her.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 16:10 »
You could give her a bit of fishy flavoured cat food to help build her up.

xx
egg bound

Started by andrewandkaren on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 13:44
by hotterotter
xx
Egg Bound

Started by geordiechick on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2012, 18:48
by 4chooks
xx
Egg bound

Started by tonethebone on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 15:48
by Flowerpower136
xx
EGG BOUND

Started by barley on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 07, 2014, 17:02
by grinling

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 38 queries.