Feeling guilty.

• 16 Replies

NormandyMary

Feeling guilty.
« on: November 12, 2011, 18:53 »
As you all know, Ive had my new girls and boy for some weeks now. Im getting around 3 eggs every day, sometimes 4 and Ive had some double-yolkers. They love their house, they are eating and drinking very well, and they all look healthy.
However, I still feel so guilty that Ive got them penned up in a run and that they are not able to roam free. I just feel that they are not getting the interesting life that they deserve, in amongst the bushes and trees digging up my grass etc. The lawn area that they had in their run has disappeared, but I try to make sure that they have plenty of greenery to make up for the lack of grass.
I have to keep them like this or I just know that Mr Fox will pay us a visit, I just cant stop feeling guilty.

Any suggestions?

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: Feeling guilty.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 19:20 »
Try not to feel bad about it, mine are also stuck in their run because our neighbours dog keeps jumping the fence to get at them. I try to keep interest by changing the stuff I put on the run as flooring, they get things like turf, play sand, miscanthus or straw. They also get different fruit and veg each day.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 19:24 »
I hang cabbages on a string from the roof and have a perch underneath.  They have to get onto the perch to get at the cabbage.  It's all good exercise and keeps them amused. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 20:27 »
Our girls are enclosed in a biggish area which they've reduced to mud. 

I reckon if they can't go out to free range, we need to bring the same experience into their run, so we chuck in veg plants after harvest, weeds from the garden, veg trimmings and (cooked)potato peelings - and very irritating it is, Defra, to have to do all my kitchen preparation outside

Plus we try changing their layout with pallets & blocks & huge tyres to play on and changes of soil when it suits the gardener (OH & sons!) - the garden team have just dumped tired soil from the greenhouse in the chickens' area and replaced it with soil the girls have picked through and fertilised over the summer: both parties very pleased
ManicMum

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 20:35 »
Mine spend the majority of their time in runs and are quite content, so I'm sure your flock is fine Mary  :D  

My lot have logs to jump up onto and love sitting on these preening and they get regular supplies of greens to peck through.  The big gang do come out for a wander but after about an hour of whirlwind garden wrecking, they take themselves back home.  This may be my fault as I use mealworms as a 'come back in the run' treat.  They stand there expectantly waiting for the bag to appear  :lol:  The trio will stay out all day given half the chance pottering about but regularly go back to their run for quite long periods, which says to me that they like the security of their own space  :)

Helenaj

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 09:43 »
We tend to associate our feelings with that of our pets and you are assuming they don't like their environment, because as a human you wouldn't want to be shut in all of the time. As long as they have an enriched environment they will be quite happy where they are. However, if you feel they would benefit from being out and about are you able to let them out for an hour or two in the week/weekend to wander about if you can sit there with them?

NormandyMary

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 09:55 »
We tend to associate our feelings with that of our pets and you are assuming they don't like their environment, because as a human you wouldn't want to be shut in all of the time. As long as they have an enriched environment they will be quite happy where they are. However, if you feel they would benefit from being out and about are you able to let them out for an hour or two in the week/weekend to wander about if you can sit there with them?

I thought of that, but if I let them out and they get a taste of freedom, I will feel even more guilty when they are clammering to get out for some more.  Plus I wouldnt get them back until it gets dark and they want to go to bed. Im going to ask OH to make them a playpark for the centre of their run to keep them occupied.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 13:22 »
get them used to running after you when you shake a container of corn - bribery works wonders. Soon they will just follow you when they see you coming with the container  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 09:54 »
I just tend to let them out when im around.

I have them trained, so when i whistle a tune they come sprinting back from where ever they are.  A couple of bits of corn thrown in the run once they are in sight and they are all away no problems
I hate signatures but love irony

NormandyMary

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 20:30 »
Ill give it some serious thought, and then Ill have to convince OH. Ive told him I want them to have a climbing frame, but they will have to wait in line. Actually after today, they will have to wait a bit longer. OH has damaged a nerve in his elbow and cant work for a few days (again). We spent the afternoon in the hospital as our GP thought he had dislocated it!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 08:17 »
Anything to jump up onto will do Mary - they just seem to like the opportunity to get up a bit higher to watch the world go by, preen and generally rest up.

Can you get hold of wooden crates, logs or straw bales?  If you can get 2 decent sized logs and a plank to put between them, it makes a great dust bath underneath  :)

NormandyMary

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 20:37 »
Anything to jump up onto will do Mary - they just seem to like the opportunity to get up a bit higher to watch the world go by, preen and generally rest up.

Can you get hold of wooden crates, logs or straw bales?  If you can get 2 decent sized logs and a plank to put between them, it makes a great dust bath underneath  :)
Tell me about it NS. They fly up onto the roof of their house. Im just waiting for one to fly over the fence! They've already made their bath. It looks like a bomb crater!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 13:45 »
 :lol:  Yes mine are good at bomb craters as well.  Usually positioned carefully so as you fumble around in these dark evenings shutting them up, you fall in it  ::)  I swear I hear them giggling in the coop everytime I go in one  :lol:

boosmummy

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 23:22 »
I hang cabbages on a string from the roof and have a perch underneath.  They have to get onto the perch to get at the cabbage.  It's all good exercise and keeps them amused. :)

i really like that idea and would never have thought about doing it, its a definite keeper for when i get my girls - thanks ice xx

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 10:34 »
At this time of year we have a lot of leaves in the garden.When I collect them up I toss them in the run with a couple of handfuls of corn on top. They spend ages raking through the leaves to get to the corn, it gives them something to do.

xx
Feeling Guilty

Started by chuckmad on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 14:16
by chuckmad
xx
Feeling guilty

Started by Nails on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 19:55
by NormandyMary
xx
Do you feel guilty when they can't free range

Started by gracie on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2011, 12:24
by kimmcb
xx
Feeling a bit proud....

Started by Honeysuckle on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 15:12
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 37 queries.