Do you feel guilty when they can't free range

• 4 Replies

gracie

• Experienced Member
Do you feel guilty when they can't free range
« on: June 06, 2011, 09:28 »
We let our chickens free range whenever we are at home. This can sometimes be all day. Trouble is I feel awful when I don't let them out. You can tell they are wondering what I am playing at not letting them out. They have a good size run and dh has agreed to extend it before our fortnights holiday in august. They will get checked every day but can't imagine anyone sitting here for an hour or two to let them out.

Do you think I would be better not letting them out all day so it's not so difficult for them when they can't get out or just let them be happy out whenever they get the chance.

I know this isn't a serious problem but thought it would be interesting to see what others do. My friends that have chickens either have electric fencing so they are out all the time or never free range. Our garden is too big to electric fence.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Do you feel guilty when they can't free range
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:32 »
they may sulk and go off lay for a short while but they will be safe, so don't feel guilty if they can't free range whilst you are away.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Debz

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 09:34 »
You would feel a lot guiltier if they got taken by a fox if they were out unsupervised.  Mine only got to play out when I could be in the garden with them becuase it is an unsecured garden and I have seen a fox sitting on top of the six foot high fencing.

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 09:46 »
Oh I know what you mean about foxes, I wouldn't consider letting them out when I'm not here. It's bad enough when I am, always constantly checking on them. Maybe I won't be so paranoid when I have had them longer. I even get them in when i go for a shower if no one else is home.
It's raining today and it's their first day in it so I stood outside with my brolly watching them.

kimmcb

• Conquering the world, one chicken at a time.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 12:24 »
I wouldn't feel guilty, just think what a wonderful life you are giving them when you are around. I work three days a week at the moment and my girls stay in the run while I'm at work. Have you thought of Hennels?! I know that Raw Green Cottages near Barnsley do hen holiday boarding from £1 per day, so there must be other places too.

clip
free range ?????

Started by chicken henry on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post December 02, 2013, 21:45
by andy46
xx
Feeling Guilty

Started by chuckmad on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 14:16
by chuckmad
xx
Feeling guilty

Started by Nails on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 19:55
by NormandyMary
xx
Feeling guilty.

Started by NormandyMary on Chicken Chat

16 Replies
Last post November 23, 2011, 08:03
by gracie

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 36 queries.