Feeling Guilty

• 12 Replies

chuckmad

Feeling Guilty
« on: May 27, 2010, 09:46 »
Hey guys, I just need a little bit of re-assurance that I'm doing the right thing!!!!
I have three hens in a little run of about 3 feet by 6 feet and I do not let them out. But some of ye may know this is for a very good reason. My neighbours dog ran off with my lovely stella a few weeks ago.
Our garden is being finished off buy the builders at the mo and we are going to build them a nice big run (hopefully this sunday) where they will have lots of space and will be as safe as I can make them (the rest will be out of my hands).  Until then, they stay inside the little run cos I have to protect them.
But everytime I go to the little run, My Betty comes over skwalking (?????) like made, she wants to come out and would have been allowed out all the time (pre neighbours dog).  This morning when I opened the run to give them food and water, Betty squatted down as low as possible as if she was going to make a run for it. 
I know she is crying at me to let her out and I feel bad, please tell me I'm doing the right thing until I can build our hen's paradise (sorry if this is long winded)  :(

dizzylizzie

Re: Feeling Guilty
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 09:51 »
Are you sure your not reading more into this becauseyou feel guilty? :nowink:. She is probably squatted because she thinks your a cockerel :D. You know you have done what you think is best to keep your girls safe, and like you say, its not forever....dont be so hard on yourself!

Flowerpower136

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 10:37 »
My chooks can't come out either, never, ever, or our very own dog will finish them off.

They have a big spacious pen with roof and all mod cons, access to compost heaps and room service layers, water, corn and greens.

When I'm out of sight they all get on happily and busy, busy doing chicken stuff.  Howevever the minute they hear the back door, all crowd up along the front of the pen and look like desperate pathetic victims of tyranny. :(

So, take not notice of Betty, she's trying to wrap you round her tiny toes.  It's what they do.

The space they are in wouldn't do long term, but you know that.  It's temporary, and for all the very best and very essential reasons.  They'll be absolutely fine till you've built their extention.  Don't worry.

UrbanG

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 10:52 »
Betty is crouching down because YOU are now their cockerel, I'm surprised you've not seen this behaviour before if they are laying? and if they are not laying yet the crouching down when you approach is a good sign they she will be laying very soon.

And although your current run is small for your 3 girls its a hell of a lot better than they could of had should their life had gone in a different direction. They are fine in there till you sort a better one out, I think its your guilt which is making this short term accommodation even smaller than it is. As long as you sort a larger run out as soon as you can they will be fine. give them some more corn, thats all they actually care about anyway. lol  :)

1st year at 'proper' veggie gardening with 2x 12ftx4ft raised beds. loads of patio containers, 2 chickens and 1 ferret.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 10:58 »
My chooks can't come out either, never, ever, or our very own dog will finish them off.

They have a big spacious pen with roof and all mod cons, access to compost heaps and room service layers, water, corn and greens.

When I'm out of sight they all get on happily and busy, busy doing chicken stuff.  Howevever the minute they hear the back door, all crowd up along the front of the pen and look like desperate pathetic victims of tyranny. :(

So, take not notice of Betty, she's trying to wrap you round her tiny toes.  It's what they do.

The space they are in wouldn't do long term, but you know that.  It's temporary, and for all the very best and very essential reasons.  They'll be absolutely fine till you've built their extention.  Don't worry.

"look like desperate pathetic victimes of tyranny",     flowerpot you do make me laugh with your descriptions  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

chuckmad

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 11:38 »
I've not been blessed with any eggs yet. I have betty two months now (i now know she wasnt as old as i was told) her comb is gone bright red also.  OOOHHH i cant wait.
Thanks guys. :) I'll let you know how the build goes

UrbanG

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 11:40 »
Eggs anytime soon then Chuckmad.   :)

I'm excited for ya now  ;)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 11:49 »
totally agree...get your camera ready...first egg piccies are the law ;)

chuckmad

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 12:09 »
I'm putting the first egg on the mantle piece for all to see.  :tongue2:

dizzylizzie

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 12:13 »
 :D :D :D :D

UrbanG

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 12:17 »
I bet you eat it within 3 hours of finding it, even if your not hungry...   :tongue2:

dizzylizzie

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 12:19 »
My first was poached on wholemeal toast mmmmmmm :D

chuckmad

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 14:16 »
I'm considering making my pastry ahead of time to make a fantastic quiche

xx
Feeling guilty.

Started by NormandyMary on Chicken Chat

16 Replies
Last post November 23, 2011, 08:03
by gracie
xx
Feeling guilty

Started by Nails on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 19:55
by NormandyMary
xx
Do you feel guilty when they can't free range

Started by gracie on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2011, 12:24
by kimmcb
xx
Feeling a bit proud....

Started by Honeysuckle on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 15:12
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 39 queries.