new silkies pol... will i get eggs this year?

• 2 Replies

silverteen

new silkies pol... will i get eggs this year?
« on: November 15, 2011, 10:01 »
hi, we've got some 20 week pol silkie hens and the breader said one had started laying but not the other. we've had them 4 nights now and no eggs. was wondering would they lay again/start this year or wait until the days are longer?

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
Re: new silkies pol... will i get eggs this year?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 13:25 »
They might start, but then again they might decide its cold and dark – you never can tell really!

Being moved can be enough to put them off lay for a little while too, I suspect if you don’t see any thing in the a couple of weeks they will wait till spring.

Then again, it doesn’t take much to put off a silkie! If you got them for eggs you may be out of luck as they are horrible layers from my experience.  If they were not sulking about something and not laying, they were going broody!

Pretty though

heh

Good luck any way!

Good luck any way!
I hate signatures but love irony

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
Re: new silkies pol... will i get eggs this year?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 14:16 »
Hi,
I only have silkies and mine lay virtually all year round :D i think your girls are probably just settling in.
I started a couple of years ago and bought 10 day old chicks, they started laying at approx 20 - 22 wks and I get roughly an egg every other day per hen. They speed up in spring, and again in the autumn. When the days get darker they still lay, I have 6 girls three 2 year olds and three approx 20 weeks and I get approx 1 - 3 eggs per day at the moment.

Yes silkies can be broody, but I have found it comes down to their individual personality, Mildred is always trying to sit other girls eggs, whereas Mini very rarely goes broody.

I love my girls they a pleasure to own and at times produce soo many eggs I cannot keep up, sometimes 4 - 6 eggs per day :tongue2:. It is very rare I go a day without at least 1 egg.

xx
when do silkies start to lay eggs?

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post October 28, 2012, 15:35
by sussexchook
xx
Silkies eggs hatched

Started by slowef on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 17:24
by babe
xx
What age do Polands and silkies start to lay eggs??

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 11:56
by Jellyhead
xx
2 broody silkies sitting on 1 batch of eggs

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 12:49
by Craigx

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 35 queries.