Onions from seed?

• 11 Replies

Cavolo Hero

Onions from seed?
« on: April 27, 2024, 08:11 »
Has anyone on here grown their onions from seed this year?
I’m really interested in this as I like to experiment.
I’ve got a couple of trays that were started in January, but they still look nowhere near ready to go out into the big wide world, but I’ve nothing to compare with.

Would love to hear some experiences and advice please!  :)

steven c

• Experienced Member
Re: Onions from seed?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2024, 08:39 »
we started like you in January in propagators now planted out and doing ok i would guess about 8-10 inches high mostly in rows about 4 inch apart 6 inch between rows some [red baron] are in groups of about 6 dotted around other plants  our main white onion is Ailsa Craig which normally gives us large onions that store well we are just using the last now. good luck.
from bow like to grow

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2024, 09:32 »
I have never managed to grow on seed onions and leeks to the size recommended for planting out, but as soon as the weather is looking ok mine go out in the garden anyway.  I planted the onions and leeks out last week, although the onions weren't huge and the leeks no better than bits of grass, never mind the recommended thickness of a pencil.  Both have grown on quickly in only a week, so it's worth having a go. 

Cavolo Hero

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2024, 13:50 »
Thanks both for your replies. I’ve prepped a couple of beds ready for them and hope to get them out one day next week.

steven c - that’s really helpful re the spacings. That’s a good idea to dot any spares around.

jaydig - I’m glad you said that as I always lol when it says “plant out when thickness of a pencil” , mine are barely the thickness of the lead inside a pencil!  :lol:

I will definitely persevere then, thanks for the encouragement!

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2024, 19:04 »
Being in the west of Scotland, am I to late to direct sow onions, packet says yes, heart says no
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2024, 20:30 »
Forgot to mention that onions and leeks do better with a bit of lime raked into the soil, and generous doses of manure or fertiliser when they get going later in the season.  Managed to get seed for the old Kelsae last year, and got huge, very mild onions just like the Spanish onions we used to be able to get years ago.  As a friend's husband used to say, Ya could ate em like an opple!! Translation: You could eat them like an apple. :D

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2024, 22:30 »
Being in the west of Scotland, am I to late to direct sow onions, packet says yes, heart says no

Try it and report back, you might just get small onions . You can still plant sets ASAP though and get decent sized onions

I always start seeds end of february, also west of Scotland. Grow on in greenhouse and planted out early April. I've had to put some sets in to replace some that got eaten though.

As for leeks I put them out after the potatoes, typically in June. I'll have potted them on by then and they should be as thick as a pencil, touch wood

Cavolo Hero

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2024, 22:33 »
Forgot to mention that onions and leeks do better with a bit of lime raked into the soil, and generous doses of manure or fertiliser when they get going later in the season.  Managed to get seed for the old Kelsae last year, and got huge, very mild onions just like the Spanish onions we used to be able to get years ago.  As a friend's husband used to say, Ya could ate em like an opple!! Translation: You could eat them like an apple. :D

When is the best time to add the lime jaydig?
I was planning to plant the seedlings out, maybe on Monday so could pick up some lime tomorrow, but would that be harmful to plant out so soon after liming?
Sorry for all the questions!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2024, 11:40 »
I have grown mine from seed for the last 8 years or more.
I find the quality is far better than a set.

Start mine by chitting the seed in damp paper then sow in 12cm root trainer's before planting out.
Mine are due for final planting in the next couple of weeks.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

jaydig

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2024, 19:31 »
Cavolo Hero -      I usually add just a sprinkle of lime and rake it in well about a week before planting out. The feed/chicken pellets/6X or whatever you choose can be added when they start to look more like little onions/leeks than bits of grass. Keep them watered well and hopefully you should get a decent crop.

Cavolo Hero

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2024, 20:39 »
Thanks everyone, really helpful tips! Fingers crossed for a bumper crop  :D

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2024, 18:32 »
Hi I am in North lanarkshire area and have spare Ailsa craig onions plants grown from seed Jan/Feb

xx
onions from seed now

Started by steven c on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 06, 2021, 14:53
by 8doubles
xx
red onions (going to seed!

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 21:10
by DD.
xx
Why are my red onions going to seed?

Started by kizza on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 15:20
by yummy
xx
onions going to seed

Started by yodapete on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 00:20
by Teen76

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 47 queries.