What Fruit Trees Do You Grow On Your Plot?

• 42 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: What Fruit Trees Do You Grow On Your Plot?
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 20:45 »

£5 each at Morrisons now.

Worth a cycle ride into town I reckon - thanks  ;)

The only other thing I will need is an extra half-acre of land  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2011, 21:55 »
Two Cherry, Three Apple, Three Pear, Five Plum and two Damson. By the end of next season I fully expect a full crop from them all. This is not the only fruit I'm growing,but I think your question was specifically about trees :) :)
people talk rubbish

ferreter51

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 07:34 »
The thread has got me thinking.  Two of my damson trees are probably a bit past it.  They did not give very much fruit last year and according to the previous owner, he got little from them over several seasons.  If I removed them, is it possible to plant new ones, or even something like plum trees in roughly the same positions, or, like roses, is that not possible?

stompy

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 07:46 »
I would have thought that so long as you prepare the planting hole well (plenty of organic material and BFB) then there should be no problem!

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 10:26 »
On the alloment I have 3 plums, 1 cherry, 1 apple, 1 family apple, and at home 1 pear,
1 nectarine, 1 peach and a lime.

Never really thought about it before but thats one heck of a lot of fruit  :blink:

stompy

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2011, 10:29 »
We used to get through all of ours, even the vast amount of apples.
I just put them through the juicer and make apple wine.

ferreter51

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2011, 10:36 »
I would have thought that so long as you prepare the planting hole well (plenty of organic material and BFB) then there should be no problem!

No problem with the organic stuff - there is a house down the lane with stables and three horses.  They have a pile there going back years, give the stuff away willingly and are glad to see the back of it.

I shall hire a stump grinder to get rid of that part of the tree, the main part can go into the woodshed for next winter.  To be honest (ambition may be getting to me) all the damsons may need replacement in the next few years as they are all quite old, so if I have the grinder for a day, (and space in the woodshed) it may be a good time to replace them all.  The other fruit trees are quite young, none more than 5 years or so and crop well.

stompy

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2011, 10:39 »
How big are the trees?
I used my Landrover to pull several very large elderberry trees out of my friends land.
It did it with ease, could have done it with a car probably if we could have got some grip, thats why we used my landy

ferreter51

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2011, 14:03 »
How big are the trees?
I used my Landrover to pull several very large elderberry trees out of my friends land.
It did it with ease, could have done it with a car probably if we could have got some grip, thats why we used my landy

Unfortunately there is no access for vehicles into the orchard part of my land, so it will have to be the stump grinder and that will only just get in!  That and a lot of digging out of roots and residual wood chippings.  I made a start this morning and took down one tree from 20+ft to a stump of about 1 ft.  The second is due to be cut this afternoon.  Chainsaws are wonderful things.

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2011, 15:31 »
Greengage on my plot.  Concorde Pear and Damson (merryweather) in my garden.
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2011, 18:17 »
The thread has got me thinking.  Two of my damson trees are probably a bit past it.  They did not give very much fruit last year and according to the previous owner, he got little from them over several seasons.  If I removed them, is it possible to plant new ones, or even something like plum trees in roughly the same positions, or, like roses, is that not possible?

Before you give up on your Damsons why not give them an overdose of phostrogen? One full packet per tree! I'm serious about this because we had a really old apple tree in our front garden that didn't produce fruit for years,or very little fruit in a good year!. By chance,I had an old packet of phostrogen at the back of our shed and for some unknown reason I sprinkled the contents all around the base of the old apple tree. None of us could believe the result.... a fully rejuvenated apple tree full of lovely fruit. Maybe I got lucky,but it just may be worth a go :) :)

Robster

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2011, 18:40 »
I have 3 plums on dwarf stock (Victoria, Czar and Opal).  Purchased Autumn 2008 kept in pots for a bit planted out 2009.  First few fruit 2010 and hopefully plum jam and crumble this year.  So expect a few years until you get fruit.

SkipRat

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2011, 21:17 »
I have ...

1 apple tree
2 Plum trees
1 Cherry tree
2 Gooseberry bushes

I keep threatening to put in a Pear tree but done nothing about it yet.. :blush:
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

xx
What Fruit Trees to grow after potato blight

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 02, 2012, 16:27
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Best fruit trees to grow in british climate?

Started by infowarrior on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 10:57
by simonwatson
xx
Fruit Trees - Are they difficult to grow ? Pests and problems ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 09:37
by garddwr
xx
Fruit trees for the plot.

Started by Denno17 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 10, 2009, 08:58
by Dane End

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 36 queries.