Did that chicken crow?

• 4 Replies

grinling

Did that chicken crow?
« on: July 20, 2012, 22:05 »
The chicks are quite big now and some are getting deeper voices than others, but the neighbours son, who is my other neighbour, remarked on the "crowing" to his mother. She then remarked that in the old days they would go to the pot. I said they needed to get a bit bigger and I also need to tell which one is crowing!! I am now resigned to the fact that all 8 will probably crow.
Did tell her but at 84 she forgets... told the others around me as well.

splash101

Re: Did that chicken crow?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 12:42 »
The last of my May Day chicks (the only one i kept  :ohmy: ) crowed for the first time today.
It was such a low, quiet sound and not the shrieking i was expecting, that will probably come next, i think he is just practising at the moment
He will be 12 weeks old this week. Shame really because he has such a wonderful temprement. Apart from the comb and wattle which has rapidly grown in the last 2-3 weeks he really doesnt look like a cockerel.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 21:00 »
One of my 2 light sussex bantam cockerels has just started to try and crow today.  It was as you said grinling quite deep.  The funny thing is that one of my Black Rocks was making a racket most of the morning and no matter what I did she carried on.  Then she started to try crowing!!!  It sounded so funny but it did seem to calm her down.  Luckily it was all calm and quite in the garden this afternoon.  I'm not sure if the sun has gone to her head.   ::)

I am hoping for a lie in tomorrow morning but am not banking on it.   :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

splash101

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 07:11 »
Oh my!.
My 12 week old (only just discovered it was a) cockerel has now decided he will try mounting the hens. 3 are having none of it and the other 2 dont seem too bothered but the other 3 come running to the rescue.
Quite humerous to watch. He waits until they are head down eating and ambushes them. Wasnt expecting this so early on.
No crowing yet today. Still that didnt stop me waking up at 5am in anticipation.
The last lot of cockerels i had were nearly 9 months old before they crowed and never did make any advances towards the ladies.

crowndale

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 09:08 »
i had a nasty shock when all three of my ladies started to 'crow' one night.  i was assurred they were girls when i got them so was quite taken aback.  then i realised they weren't crowing, they were shouting at the cats that were sitting round the outside of their (rather small) coop and they were probably frightened.  big relief, and three cats told off.  they did it again last night when a helicopter went over head very low, they were not amused but did stop when they saw me appear.  glad to know i can comfort them in their upset!  hopefully moving into their 9x12 run later today with only two sides the cats can torment them through!!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

xx
The first crow!

Started by bantam novice on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post June 22, 2011, 19:39
by bantam novice
xx
First crow.

Started by NormandyMary on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 13:00
by alancane
xx
Cluck and Crow

Started by grinling on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post June 28, 2015, 18:08
by danfinn1
xx
Dave the cockerel has found his crow

Started by scabs on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post July 24, 2010, 12:19
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 38 queries.