Hot weather stop laying?

• 3 Replies

moomoos42

Hot weather stop laying?
« on: October 01, 2011, 12:52 »
Would this hot weather cause my hens to stop laying? I live in the fens and it was 30c yesterday and looks like it'll be the same today. this morning i went out an hour earlier than usual to avoid the worse of the heat and there were no eggs. Gytha usualy lays before i even let them out.
Also last night they had just started to go to bed when i had to go into the garden and they all came back out again. it was really dark by the time i made them go to bed. so is it me upsetting their rutine or is it the weather? They have been standing around alot with beaks open and wings up and they are drinking loads.
Thank you for any advice.

Suzybat

Re: Hot weather stop laying?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 22:53 »
Im in East Anglia and weather is hot, still had an egg from my only layer this morning but they have been wandering round with beaks open, gave them some cold yougurt yesteday, loved that and I sprayed there grass with water, seemed to like being on the damp grass in the heat

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 23:15 »
Hot weather can interrupt laying.  It is a good idea to hose their enclosure and even the coop roof to keep the temperature down for them.  Did this for mine yesterday and got 5 eggs from 6 hens today.  Make sure they have plenty of shade to keep cool. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

moomoos42

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 17:30 »
Thank you for your advice!  :D

xx
Did I stop her laying?

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 17:35
by compostqueen
xx
Hens stop laying

Started by Lorna on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2010, 14:57
by JayG
xx
Do Chickens eat less when they stop laying?

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 06:35
by New shoot
xx
what to do with chickens when they stop laying

Started by mumbley joe on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 07, 2012, 22:09
by New shoot

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 35 queries.