Feels like Autumn already!

• 8 Replies

heygrow

• Experienced Member
Feels like Autumn already!
« on: August 28, 2015, 16:28 »
Don't know about you, but this seems to have been a really short summer. Did not get started until end if May and by August it seemed to all but over. This last few weeks had just been wet, windy and cold. Had a brief respite today and got out to look at things, but feels very Autumnal.

However had good harvet of early cropping produce through the summer, it's just the late rippening stuff thst is struggling now, like rasps, sweetcorn, french beans. Even the apples are rotting on the tree!  :( Runners are going strong though, seem to like the wetter weather.

Hoping for a heatwave in September......
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 16:30 by heygrow »

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
Re: Feels like Autumn already!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 18:15 »
Short summer? I'll say so...ours was half an hour one afternoon...a Tuesday if I remember rightly - and that was back in May!   :ohmy:
Carpe Diem

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 19:40 »
Got to agree, been busy getting firewood sorted, had a day this week where it rained and was dark at 8pm! Hoping for a decent sept to get carrots grown.

andimac

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 09:53 »
Don't say that!! I'm still waiting for summer to arrive. So is most of my veg..

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 13:14 »
To me, Autumn has a certain smell in the air and not had it yet.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 13:17 »
To me, Autumn has a certain smell in the air and not had it yet.

Agreed, sort of smoky woodsmoke, late bonfires. You know it when you smell it. Bit like Spring has its own smell. Definitely not smelt it yet.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 13:21 »
Not the Autumn smell perhaps, but here, we've had a few nights that have been around the 8C mark - horrible temperatures - if it's still Summer  ::)

Charityuk

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 18:03 »
My summer raspberries were pitiful but I have had many kilos off the autumn ones, and lots more to come.  No runner beans yet though, and only two courgettes from 4 plants!

steved

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 19:33 »
I think were far too tuned into the warmth aspect of summer, to me and our plants/animals its also about the length of the daylight hours just as importantly.
For example the Roe buck antlers stop growing "in velvet" and the testerone levels cause this, when the daylight hours get longer in the spring. After this , the major tree damage occurs, as the buck tries to clean his antlers on any good looking tree bark.
Perruque bucks, where uncontrollable velvet growth occurs, freguently growing over the animals eyes and getting infected, meaning a slow and painful death through the inability to eat and see danger(deer have a photographic memory) usually due to damage to the genital area, meaning lack of testerone production(barbed wire fences, unruly dogs etc)
Conversely, the coronets, which is the "flange" at the bottom of the antler, start dying when the daylight hours get shorter.
I always think of 12 daylight and 12 darkness is the end of the main growing season for the majority of our summer crops.
Political Correctness-a concept based on the idea that its possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

xx
it feels really strange!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2011, 00:56
by sarajane
xx
Feels like war! How do you protect everything

Started by kari on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 06:40
by Beetroot queen
xx
Are there better Autumn raspberries than Autumn Bliss?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 07:35
by DD.
xx
Is it autumn already??

Started by Florablunder on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post August 06, 2021, 11:28
by coldandwindy

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 31 queries.