container growing

• 2 Replies

rowlandwells

container growing
« on: November 26, 2010, 20:46 »
iv decided to go for more container growing next year got hold of some [25LTR] plastic drums cut the tops off drilled a hole in the bottom of the drum for drainage perfect :D

I'm building a new sunken garden patio only one side will be bordered  the rest of the patio will be slabbed so we intend to put all the plants in containers usually i half fill the container with dung and then make up the container with multi-purpose compost i dont know if i should use container compost instead ???

also the concrete tubs seem to be better for the plants better than the plastic ones but i don't know the reason for this >:(

for those of you that are into container growing how do you fill your containers and what sort of results have you achieved we grow mainly fuchsia- begonia and geranium and some veg in our containers now we will just be increasing the containers on this patio and we can also move them if required  ::)

solway cropper

Re: container growing
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 23:37 »
You'll need more than one hole in the bottom unless it's a bl**dy big one. In flower buckets I put at least half a dozen half inch holes and maybe twenty in a larger container. I've been growing veg in containers for quite a few years now and would say there's very little that can't be grown if you get the conditions right for the individual crop. I'm now self-sufficient in compost and have access to horse muck, seaweed, etc. but if you are going to rely on shop bought stuff you will need to be aware that it only has nutrients for a fairly limited time. Container growing is fun and can be very productive but it does need a bit more work.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: container growing
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 14:20 »
I agree re the drainage holes, you'll need more than one.

Avoid the concrete pots for plants which are acid-lovers, or for spuds (alkalinity can trigger scab).

No real need for container compost, I'd have said - but make sure you add some slow-release fertiliser with the compost as the nutrients in the compost will be exhausted within 6 weeks.  If the pots are small you might want also to add some of the water retaining gel.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Container growing

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 16, 2017, 17:44
by Robster
xx
container growing

Started by sathya on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 28, 2008, 14:06
by kezlou
xx
Container growing

Started by Shelle on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2007, 20:05
by Ann
xx
Container growing beginner needs help

Started by mp5684 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 22:09
by joyfull

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 36 queries.