Fruit bushes

• 17 Replies

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
Fruit bushes
« on: September 28, 2010, 16:13 »
I am thinking of devoting one of my two raised beds entirely to fruit bushes, can anybody recommend any fruit bushes that have excelled for you or otherwise :)

I should also add, i would like to make some jam next year :)

And also can anbody recomend an online retailer to buy them off, thanks :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 16:17 by Jamie Butterworth »
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

RichardA

Re: Fruit bushes
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 16:28 »
Jamie I get all my trees and bushes from KEN MUIR who has proved to be totally relaible and very informative etc. My selection includes only what the family are keen to eat and what is relatively easy so raspberries, black berries, strawberries, gooseberries and rhubarb as no one likes black currants or red currants. We also grow blueberries but as these have very special soil requirements we grow these in pots.
I am in North Lincolnshire with a sheltered garden and lightish but deep soils. Hope it helps
R

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 17:08 »
Jamie,

Our redcurrants have done really well here in our location, so I'd recommend them if you like them. Redcurrant jelly is a popular foodstuff, but I love them in summer pudding. :) They match up really well with raspberries too. We're just about to give up on strawberries, the chickens used to pinch all the fruit worth having, but even this year with a new bed and a more even chance and an improved bed they haven't done that well. Perhaps the weather was too damp. :( We're planning a bed with redcurrants and some raspberry canes which a friend is keen to give away. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 19:32 »
Not sure about the fruit bushes but I can help you with the jam, no problem.  I might even loan you my themometer, jam pan and funnel.

Jamie Butterworth

• Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 19:50 »
Jamie I get all my trees and bushes from KEN MUIR who has proved to be totally relaible and very informative etc. My selection includes only what the family are keen to eat and what is relatively easy so raspberries, black berries, strawberries, gooseberries and rhubarb as no one likes black currants or red currants. We also grow blueberries but as these have very special soil requirements we grow these in pots.
I am in North Lincolnshire with a sheltered garden and lightish but deep soils. Hope it helps
R

Thanks for the ups, ive just been looking on that site, looks realy good, like you say ill be growing the blueberries in tubs to cater for there specific soil specification :)
Jamie,

Our redcurrants have done really well here in our location, so I'd recommend them if you like them. Redcurrant jelly is a popular foodstuff, but I love them in summer pudding. :) They match up really well with raspberries too. We're just about to give up on strawberries, the chickens used to pinch all the fruit worth having, but even this year with a new bed and a more even chance and an improved bed they haven't done that well. Perhaps the weather was too damp. :( We're planning a bed with redcurrants and some raspberry canes which a friend is keen to give away. :)

I am thinking about growing red currants to make jam with, plus i have 4 raspberry canes so they should go well together :)
Not sure about the fruit bushes but I can help you with the jam, no problem.  I might even loan you my themometer, jam pan and funnel.

Thanks Liz, im half way through that jar you gave me and its gorgeous, would definetley like to make some more of my own :tongue2: :)

Goldfinger

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 20:45 »

Can I just ask here while on the subject of fruit bushes, what would be ideal spacing of the bushes? Because I've an idea..........

Take a 45 gallon PLASTIC drum, cut off the top and bottom, then cut into 'rings' about 8-10 inches thick.

Sink them so far into the ground, plant one or two bushes in each ring and then top up with a muck mulch, and then use bark chippings or similar around the rings so you keep your boots clean, (hopefully)

I saw what someone had done on GW special a few weeks ago on Sky where a gardener had 'earthed up' around his fruit bushes with manure, and just thought would this work??

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 21:14 »
I would defi go for blackcurrants as you can get newer varieties that don't need a lot of space. This summer I picked 11lbs of fruit from one three-year old bush...I love blackcurrant jam  :)

I have strawbs, rasps, goosegogs and rogue blackberries but the blackcurrants give by far the most fruit.

Jamie Butterworth

• Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 21:33 »

Can I just ask here while on the subject of fruit bushes, what would be ideal spacing of the bushes? Because I've an idea..........

Take a 45 gallon PLASTIC drum, cut off the top and bottom, then cut into 'rings' about 8-10 inches thick.

Sink them so far into the ground, plant one or two bushes in each ring and then top up with a muck mulch, and then use bark chippings or similar around the rings so you keep your boots clean, (hopefully)

I saw what someone had done on GW special a few weeks ago on Sky where a gardener had 'earthed up' around his fruit bushes with manure, and just thought would this work??

Sounds like a good idea, are you planning on doing this, if so please let me know how you get on, sounds like a very clever method :)

I would defi go for blackcurrants as you can get newer varieties that don't need a lot of space. This summer I picked 11lbs of fruit from one three-year old bush...I love blackcurrant jam  :)

I have strawbs, rasps, goosegogs and rogue blackberries but the blackcurrants give by far the most fruit.

Im planning on ordering 3 blackcurrant bushes then, 1 red current bush -  rovado, it says that they can produce up to 20 pounds of fruit in a season :ohmy:  :D

Bizzi Lizzi - What berries did you put in that jam that you gave me as it was fantastic :D

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 22:21 »
Did you get the strawberry jam the blackcurrant or the Davey Delight mixed red berries?

The strawberries were from a mornings strawberry picking in Stanley using two different types of fruit and for the life of me can't remember what they were, the blackcurrants are forraged from the school field behind us and the Davey Delight - strawberries from Stanley with a mixture of berries from our garden, about seven different types all together.

I tend to put equal amounts of sugar to fruit in the pot plus lots of lemon and butter for the scum.  I also have a secret ingredient but if I tell you I will have to shoot you afterwards.

As I've said to you before, get yourself round and me and Ickle Pickle will show you what we do.  Our jam making sessions tend to be very social and a good time is usually had by all.

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 22:39 »
Start collecting your jam jars now Jamie.  Don't keep ones like coffee jars with a plastic lid.  I think you get a more air tight seal with metal lids such as from jam (strangely enough, pickles, sauces, salsas, etc.  You'll be surprised at how many jars you actually use for just a couple of pounds of jam.  It's also nice to have varying sizes so you can give some as tasters to friends and family.  With nice labels and pot covers it makes a lovely present - maybe a present for Grandparents!

fatbelly

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 09:01 »
Jamie,

I sowed some Joan J Autumn fruiting Raspberry Canes very early last year and this year I have got a fabulous harvest. I got them from Suttons.

I have made some Jam with them and it is lovely (albeit a bit sweet for my liking).

Joan J are easy to get going and although they say they fruit in the first year my harvest last year was not half of what i have got this year.

Hope this helps.

FB
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Jamie Butterworth

• Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 20:03 »
Thanks for all the replies, I currently have 4 raspberry canes which are going into there second year so hopefully will be able to get a semi decent crop from them next year.

Will take you up on that offer liz, ill come round for a jam 'session'. Will start saving jam jars know :)

Does anybody know if redcurrants can be used for jams, i did a google search but it just kept coming up as redcurrant jelly, is this the same thing?

solway cropper

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 22:57 »
Jamie, I'd mix the redcurrants with something else for jam. I made apple and sloe jam which was quite acceptable. Sloes on their own are too 'dry'

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 23:44 »
Thanks for all the replies, I currently have 4 raspberry canes which are going into there second year so hopefully will be able to get a semi decent crop from them next year.

Will take you up on that offer liz, ill come round for a jam 'session'. Will start saving jam jars know :)

Does anybody know if redcurrants can be used for jams, i did a google search but it just kept coming up as redcurrant jelly, is this the same thing?

Red currants went into my Davey Delight jam - I believe they are high in pectin (the setting agent in jam) so even if you only add a few you get a little sharpness and it won't take as long to set - that's the theory!

Jamie Butterworth

• Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 12:07 »
Right then, ill roder just the one red currant plant :)

Does anyone know if tayberries and logoanberries can be used in jam, and whats the differance bettween them? :)

xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog
xx
fruit bushes

Started by jayneyredditch on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 19:49
by Nobbie
xx
Fruit Bushes

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 01, 2014, 20:37
by mumofstig
xx
Fruit bushes

Started by sandygreen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 14:34
by sandygreen

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 40 queries.