Planting distances for Red/White/Black Currant and Gooseberry

• 4 Replies

JohnB47

Hi.

My 'expert' book suggests 5' planting distances for all of the above bushes. The thing is, my plot half allotment is 16' wide and planting at that distance would to take up a load of space - particularly since the bushes are currently quite small (and will be for a few years).

Is that sort of spacing really necessary? I won't need to walk right round each bush - I'm planning to plant in 2 rows (and will leave 5' between rows). Why 5' anyway - is it because of the foliage growth above ground or the root growth below ground or access to the fruit?

What do you experienced fruit growers do?

Perhaps I've planted too many spuds this year but my plot seems to be getting a bit cramped now and I want to maximise the use of space.

My plants are:

Redcurrant Red Lake
Whitecurrant White Verseilles
Blackcurrant Wellington XXX
Gooseberry Leveller
Gooseberry Winhams Industry

Thanks.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Depending on the variety, currants etc can grow up to 5'.

Also, you don't want to cram them in too much or there won't be adequate ventilation, potentially leading to fungal diseases (I think).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
i inherted three bushes on my half plot this year, they are about 1mtr apart - however the grass sprouts really quick under them and there isnt a lot of air getting through.

JohnB47

Thanks guys.

I hadn't thought about the ventilation aspect. Also, as regards grass, I'm thinking of running some 4" tall planks around the bed and mulching inside of that to keep weeds and grasses down.

I think I'll go for the outside plants 2' in from the edges and 4' between them. That'll allow me to put 4 in a row. I'm also thinking that I can plant something between them this year and maybe next - french beans or lettuce perhaps.

Tata.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
I'd be careful about root disturbance if growing anything between them.  Sounds as though you've got that in mind, but be very careful.

xx
Gooseberry and white currant advice

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 13, 2016, 01:25
by Yorkie
xx
Apple, gooseberry and white currant pruning

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 24, 2009, 16:26
by Greengirl
xx
Fruit planting distances please

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 16:22
by Dominic
xx
Asparagus distances and flower-planting

Started by VioletSky on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 14:31
by JayG

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 36 queries.