coop ventilation

• 10 Replies

toasted

coop ventilation
« on: May 02, 2011, 19:12 »
hello everyone
im in the middle of finishing off my coop`s and run, ive read loads on here and one coop will have some 1/2" holes drilled at either end which ive read will be about right, il be having 5 hybrid layers in there its 6ft x 2ft x 2ft will 6 x 1/2" holes at either end be ok?
but on the other coop i have about a 3mm gap running along the centre of the roof for about 2 meters
that works out to be a 6cm gap
 so will it be ok to just drill some more holes at one end as the other end is double thickness with a cavity so id prefer to keep it solid until i can afford more ply to remove it to stop any possible mite hiding places as the end pannel and 2ft of the front pannel is only thin ply.
they are both converted ferret hutches the main one im unsure about having the ventilation in is 8ft x2ft x 2ft and will house about 12 ross cobbs in 16sqft
the run is partly covered so the gap along the ceiling of the run shouldnt be a problem with having water entering, well fingers crossed it wont

gracie

• Experienced Member
Re: coop ventilation
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 19:18 »
 The only ventilation we have put in ours is the natural ventilation where the roof is fixed, im sure that's what we were advised, so will watch this post with interest.

toasted

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 19:23 »
hello Gracie
both coops are made of ply so there are no other gaps for ventilation unlike the corrugated type roofs otherwise i guess that would be enough.

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 19:53 »
It would be great if you could post some pictures  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

toasted

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 20:24 »
here you go
just have to put another 4 roofing panels on with another support and sort out a door and then add some roosting bars in both coops
il be putting a few sturdy branches in each section for them to climb on and see if i can think of anything else thatl be fun for them
the layers will have 2sqm each and the ross cobbs will have just over 1sqm each
the wild birds are certainly enjoying going in there but it will be totally closed up so no wild birds or rats will be able to get in.
bild0183.jpg
bild0184.jpg

toasted

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 20:26 »
and 2 more
first pic is of the top of the coop with the 3mm gap down the center
bild0185.jpg
bild0186.jpg

bantam novice

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 20:38 »
It looks like a lovely setup you have there.  :)
What is the dimension of the run?  Are you planning to let your hens free range for some of the time?

toasted

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 20:55 »
thanks
its a odd shape due to the fence but its 6m x 5.2m but because its not square its 24sqm
id love to let them free range but my dog would kill them given the chance, plus 2 neighbours on the right have dogs and the left hand side is a playing field so if they get out of the garden they wont last long.
plus i need to redo my polytunnel as it blew down over winter so i think they would try climbing on it and rip the polythene not to mention rip up the veg and plants we have.
they will be allowed on the veg beds over winter if i can totally fence them in while supervised

binghamd

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 22:28 »
Remember that rodents can get through tiny holes, so you may need to put wire mesh over the holes to keep the vermin out.

toasted

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 23:00 »
im hoping they wont even manage to get into the run lol but the vent holes will be 13mm wide plus i dont think a mouse could get to them as theyd have to climb a smooth surface
theres a garage on one side so solid concrete, path on the right with solid concrete base plus ive dug in 1/2x1" weld mesh to around 12" and folded back to the concrete, the facing side had mesh dug in to 12" and folded out and the fence which is where they will come from has metal sheet dug down about 10+ inches and batten screwed to the fence and to stop them moving behind that ive put in stones and flattened out render beads.
plus ive got a lakeland terrier cross to keep lookout for them and any foxes with a death wish  :D
they have until tomorrow to get in there before i put the door on and send in pip for a check

im more worried about red mites, but the coops have been sprayed out with fly spray,then given a good coat in and out with creocoat then dusted with ant powder and il give them a good dusting with diatomaceo​us earth once its delivered

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 23:16 »
You'd be surprised at what a mouse or rat can climb!  But as long as those vent holes are no bigger than half an inch, you'll be okay!  Mice may be triple jointed, but they are not quite elastic! lol

xx
ventilation

Started by sprinter on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 05, 2008, 09:20
by Selkie
xx
Ventilation

Started by Bubbles on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 13:01
by Bubbles
xx
is this enough ventilation

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 23:34
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Ventilation

Started by Aidy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 10, 2010, 21:09
by Rubellite

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 38 queries.