Bendy onions - not onion fly

• 4 Replies

composthappens

Bendy onions - not onion fly
« on: December 11, 2013, 09:16 »
hi everyone, I planted some onion sets in October, they came through ok but when they got to a certain size they started twisting up and dying. I have looked very closely at them and there are no eggs or onion maggots, does anyone know what it might be? the ground is fresh and has not been used for onions before. I have now bought some more and planted them.  :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Bendy onions - not onion fly
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 10:04 »
Don't know where you live Composthappens because you haven't put your location in your forum profile, but if you are in the south or midlands your onions may have been attacked by the allium leaf miner, or possibly the leek moth, either of which could have caused those problems despite the fresh soil.

If you Gurgle those you will find more information about some of the tell-tale signs you may be able to spot.

If it is either of them you may well be luckier with your new planting, at least until the spring when their life cycles start again. Good luck!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

composthappens

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 10:49 »
thank you. I am in Shropshire  ::)

composthappens

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 10:56 »
is the leaf miner the same as onion fly? I think I will go this weekend and put some fleece over them.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 11:16 »
No - onion fly attacks the roots and bulbs, although the effect on the foliage could look similar.

I wouldn't bother fleecing at this time of year - none of the pests should be active now, and fleece doesn't last long in tough conditions anyway.

Enviromesh (or similar) is the only sure way the amateur gardener has of protecting against these insect pests, but it is a bit of a faff and you may prefer to gamble on having just been unlucky this time.......

xx
bendy carrots

Started by tillytup on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 06:03
by DD.
xx
Runner Beans - Bendy or Snappy?

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2019, 13:20
by Goosegirl
xx
Espalier fruit trees - bendy bits and chops

Started by boogaloo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 21:05
by boogaloo
xx
Onions after white onion rot

Started by Jelliebabe on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 14, 2012, 20:39
by seedman

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 39 queries.