What to do with space in-between fruit trees??

• 20 Replies

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
Re: What to do with space in-between fruit trees??
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 23:13 »
thanks all for the thoughts and comments :) 

You are right, I do indeed need to stake them.  I have the stakes and the special ties and even a mallet so I just need to get out there and do it…

I think wild flowers would be a good choice by the sound of it and wild garlic sounds nice, I love the smell of that :) I wonder if I could put a pumpkin or two on either side and train up the plot if that makes sense as well…

There are a lot of docks in this plot as well so it's going to be a never ending game of spot the dock and dig up!!

BacktoBasics

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 23:50 »
what about currants or gooseberries? hoping to do this to save some space on the lottie. would like to line one side with trees and underplant with berries. has anyone done this? any opinions?

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 08:39 »
Angelavdavis did this on one side of her plot - espalier tree with currants under the arms and strawberries under that. I think that there are pictures on her diary on here (Ecodolly).

I've underplanted currant bushes with strawberries and not so far noticed any ill-effects.

Nobbie

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 09:36 »
what about currants or gooseberries? hoping to do this to save some space on the lottie. would like to line one side with trees and underplant with berries. has anyone done this? any opinions?

If you use a very dwarfing rootstock on the trees, then they may struggle with the competition as both will send out shallow roots around the area. Maybe establish the trees first and then add the berries later.

RichardA

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 11:00 »
if you remember to take account of increased feeding needs then rhubarb would work if you plant it before the fruit trees roots have taken up all the space. With respect to other people's opinions I have found that stuff like strawberries that need a lot of sun do not do very well under trees.
R

4 Seasons

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 12:13 »
The trouble with growing anything under fruit trees I have found is that when you try to pick up the windfalls you are either trampling something that you have put there or in the case of squash it's not easy to see the apples on the ground. I use a broom to sweep windfalls in to a pile as it's a real pain (literally) trying to dodge branches bent double.  The only thing I have is grass and that is kept well cut so that I can sweep the apples easily.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 12:15 by 4 Seasons »

xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
Downsizing on allotment space and need to move apple trees

Started by Runwell-Steve on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 12:27
by Runwell-Steve
xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 33 queries.