Rabbit Cages.

• 19 Replies

fuzzy1983

Rabbit Cages.
« on: January 27, 2012, 04:16 »
Hi there. I'm looking for wire cages which I can use for Rabbit Husbandry.

They need to be wire all around so they can fit into a wooden frame which will allow me to insert trays underneath the cages to deal with Urine & Poop. They also need to be big enough so the rabbits can practice some of their nature behavior.

I plan on putting Nesting Boxes, Heating Lamps, Plywood Seats to bring the cages up to British standards for Rabbit Welfare. I basically want to do the job properly.

So if there is anyone knowledgeable here please help because I want to try and do this
the way where my Rabbits will be happy.

I'm looking for commercial grade cages. I'm only looking to spend between £10 to £15 per cage. I will consider buying 2nd hand.

Note: I know mesh/wire is a problem for some people but I plan on building a project that
is manageable.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 04:17 by fuzzy1983 »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Rabbit Cages.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 07:07 »
have you looked at the British Rabbit Councils website? This is the type of housing they advise:-
http://www.thebrc.org/housing.htm

They maybe able to help.

My parents used to breed and show rabbits (winning many shows in their time and my dad was also a judge) and the only time our rabbits went into cages was at shows.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 02:09 »
Thanks joyfull for the link - a very informative site... just spent an hour looking through it even if we have only the one rabbit.  ::)  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 16:11 »
I had two white male angora rabbits in spacious cages next to each other. We bought them to brush for the long hairs to sell to spinners and weavers. But being typical males, the silly things kept urinating on each other and over the walls  >:(, so be aware that this can happen if males are in close proximity.

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 02:23 »
I had two white male angora rabbits in spacious cages next to each other. We bought them to brush for the long hairs to sell to spinners and weavers. But being typical males, the silly things kept urinating on each other and over the walls  >:(, so be aware that this can happen if males are in close proximity.

Trillium is of course referring to rabbits!!!  :tongue2:
 :lol:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 18:29 »

Trillium is of course referring to rabbits!!!  :tongue2:

Are you 100% sure about that Paul!!!   :lol: :lol:  I have heard that they are partial to wardrobes when they have consumed too much alcohol.  ::)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

wighty

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 23:00 »
Or dirty linen baskets! :unsure: :blush:

Auntiemogs

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 23:25 »
Or storage heaters!  :lol: :lol: :lol:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 16:22 »
Just as well my rabbits didn't get any beers or ales then. Imagine what a real mess that could have been.  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 02:25 »
I had two white male angora rabbits in spacious cages next to each other. We bought them to brush for the long hairs to sell to spinners and weavers. But being typical males, the silly things kept urinating on each other and over the walls  >:(, so be aware that this can happen if males are in close proximity.

Trillium is of course referring to rabbits!!!  :tongue2:

Are you 100% sure about that Paul!!!   :lol: :lol:  I have heard that they are partial to wardrobes when they have consumed too much alcohol.  ::)

Aged 4 my son often wandered off to the loo in his sleep....and stayed sleeping. We caught him just in time vanishing into the:
  • airing cupboard
  • the top of the stairs
  • the landing next to the bathroom door

But he was soon cured...... one of us belted upstairs every night before the wanderer set off and pointed him in the right direction.  ;)

Off topic - sorry!

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:23 by Aunt Sally »

mustela-furo

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 09:26 »
Thanks joyfull for the link - a very informative site... just spent an hour looking through it even if we have only the one rabbit.  ::)  ;)

The BRC is of no use as i have been a member for over 40 years and they offer very littel help

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 11:11 »
When we showed rabbits they were excellent so it may depend on what you needed to know  :)

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 20:53 »
It's unclear from your post but rabbits should NEVER be kept in wire bottomed cages. It causes sore hocks.

And please reconsider breeding if for pets as there are so many in rescue.

mustela-furo

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 18:02 »
When we showed rabbits they were excellent so it may depend on what you needed to know  :)
I started to breed for meat when i was about 12 in 1957 because my step farther thought that the best rabbit had to be bred for the pot, i wone quite a lot with them, so he got the missmarked bucks to eat and i kept the best marked animals as pets and to show.
In 1968 i took up breeding and showing rabbits againe only having to part with them when i became ill with a brain injury, duering this time the miss marked animal were used to feed my dogs and ferret.
Even though i have been a vegie since the 50s my dogs and ferrets are still fed on raw meat

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 19:00 »
we bred black silver foxes and yes those not suitable for showing went in the pot too. I remember my mum plucking out stray white hairs that had grown too high  :lol:

xx
What to do with a lost rabbit?

Started by jimthejimjim on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post July 06, 2011, 15:11
by stompy
xx
Rabbit treats

Started by Mulberry1990 on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 11:49
by bayleaf
xx
Weeds for pet Rabbit?

Started by sarah1983jane on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post January 13, 2014, 13:07
by Elvira
xx
Rabbit has just been spayed..

Started by chloe on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post October 27, 2011, 08:36
by chloe

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 36 queries.