Honeyberry....help....

• 5 Replies

emptydraw

Honeyberry....help....
« on: April 26, 2011, 12:53 »
I have just had 3 Honeyberry plants (Lonicera Caerula var. Kamtschtica) delivered from a mail order company and was wondering if anyone out there has any wisdom to share?

I plan to plant them on the allotment and intend to train them into tall but thin hedges to divide areas of the allotment, they should get to 1.2m/4ft tall which should provide good wind protection on our open site.

My background reading tells me: similar to blueberries but dont need ericacious soil, bigger & sweeter fruit, on bigger & hardier plants. So why dont people grow these instead?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to seeing how many others out there have decided to grow this fruit!

GreenOwl

Re: Honeyberry....help....
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 13:07 »
Keep us updated.

I can't grow blueberries due to the soil requirement and I don't like them enough to grow them in pots. 

There's got to be a downside or why don't more people grow them?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 13:43 »
Please do keep us updated with how you get on. I gave great consideration to purchasing a few of these last year from an eBay seller but didn't in the end as I wasn't convinced they would thrive in the situation I had planned for them and therefore couldn't justify their cost.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 14:24 »
A lass on our site has two of these, for some reason one of them has for the first time put berries on (3 years after planting  :ohmy:) they both live in the same bed, the other produced from day one and she is confused as to why.
Regarding planting, from what I can tell she has just planted it in normal soil, nothing added but will ask when I next see her.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

emptydraw

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 18:56 »
Hi Aidy,

That would be great, hopefully she can give me a few clues.

The plants I've received are very small, maybe 5inches tall, but most honeysuckles are pretty rampant, so if I can give it a good start maybe we can get some berries next year (although one of the plants does have a small cluster of three small flowers so they may even bare fruit in the first year!?!?) Fingers crossed and I will keep you posted...

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 20:28 »
it's featured in the book 'a taste of the unexpected'.

Also known as haskap (haksap?), siberian honeysuckle in case that helps you google.

I have 4 tiny plants in the ground as of this spring, so any experience greatly received here also.

xx
Honeyberry

Started by pixie1nigel on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post December 06, 2011, 18:50
by sunshineband
xx
Honeyberry

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 18, 2012, 17:40
by shokkyy
xx
Honeyberry

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 16:01
by sclarke624
xx
Honeyberry

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2015, 00:38
by Kajazy

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 35 queries.