What needs covering

• 6 Replies

NorfolkVeg

What needs covering
« on: April 25, 2011, 13:44 »
I've started to sow seeds on the allotment and I don't really know what needs covering or what with to stop the pests destroying or eating the seedlings/flowers/crops.

So far I have planted:
Cauliflower
Raspberry canes
Broad Beans
Parnips
Potato
Beetroot
Onion Sets
Leek seed

Will also be doing:

Lettuce (head and leaf)
Radish
Strawberry plants (Got old rabbit run to put them in)
Sweetcorn
Swede
Sugar Snap Peas
Purple Sprouting Brocoli

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Nikkithefoot

Re: What needs covering
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 14:07 »
On my plot everything needs covering to stop deer and rabbits!!!! as well as caterpillars etc.

Broadly speaking for you the soft fruit will need some protection from birds, and the swede, broccoli and cauliflower protecting from pigeons and the dreaded caterpillars.

The broad beans will need their tops pinching out to reduce blackfly / aphid infestation, and the sweetcorn will need protecting from mice. I use old squash bottles (topped and tailed) at the bottom of each plant so the little critturs can't get to the stems to climb up.

The lettuce will be a slug magnet.

Other than that you should be fine I think   :D................................
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 14:10 »
Depends a lot on what sort of pests you are likely to have!

Most seedlings are vulnerable to slugs/snails until they have grown a bit, although lettuces remain a favourite treat whatever size they are.

Pigeons are particularly fond of young peas and brassicas of any size/age (and you really would be taking a gamble not netting brassicas against cabbage white butterflies.)

Birds can nobble your raspberries, although I find they seem to leave my autumn-fruiters alone.

The other things on your list should be OK, unless of course you have rabbits and/or deer to contend with as well!!  :ohmy:  :ohmy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jaysez

Net or not to net.............that is the question?!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 15:50 »
Hi All,

We have just taken on an allotment this year so are wet behind the ears when it comes to growing anything!! We have planted lots of veg but have no idea if we should net them all......net some.......... don't net at all to protect them from the pesky birds. We have so far planted onions, pots, peas, carrots and will be planting beetroot, sprouts and sweetcorn. Any general help on netting would be appreciated.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Net or not to net.............that is the question?!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 18:01 »
Hi All,

We have just taken on an allotment this year so are wet behind the ears when it comes to growing anything!! We have planted lots of veg but have no idea if we should net them all......net some.......... don't net at all to protect them from the pesky birds. We have so far planted onions, pots, peas, carrots and will be planting beetroot, sprouts and sweetcorn. Any general help on netting would be appreciated.

onions, pots, beetroot, sprouts and sweetcorn - No need to net
peas - Net against pigeons (quite large mesh will do, just make sure they can't peck the plants through the net)
carrots - Net against carrot root fly, using enviromesh or similar small size net

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 18:08 »
Brassicas will always need to be covered. Other things I would ask others on the plot so you know what beasties you are likely to be attacked by!

My neighbour protects everything I tend to be more relaxed but I wake up if things get attacked. Mind you I lost several broad beans despite being under cover and protected from slugs.(MIce??)

Good luck in the war!!

HH
Keep digging

NorfolkVeg

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 20:00 »
Thanks All.

Can anyone suggest cost effective roll of covering and netting and where from.

Cheers

xx
what needs covering........

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 08:05
by Stratts
xx
Covering brassicas still?

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 20:13
by Yorkie
xx
Covering Peas

Started by parttimer on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 09:34
by Salmo
xx
COVERING YOUR PLOT

Started by CHRISDONOHUE on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 03, 2020, 12:51
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 39 queries.