Honeyberry....help....

• 5 Replies

emptydraw

Honeyberry....help....
« on: April 26, 2011, 12:53 »
I have just had 3 Honeyberry plants (Lonicera Caerula var. Kamtschtica) delivered from a mail order company and was wondering if anyone out there has any wisdom to share?

I plan to plant them on the allotment and intend to train them into tall but thin hedges to divide areas of the allotment, they should get to 1.2m/4ft tall which should provide good wind protection on our open site.

My background reading tells me: similar to blueberries but dont need ericacious soil, bigger & sweeter fruit, on bigger & hardier plants. So why dont people grow these instead?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to seeing how many others out there have decided to grow this fruit!

GreenOwl

Re: Honeyberry....help....
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 13:07 »
Keep us updated.

I can't grow blueberries due to the soil requirement and I don't like them enough to grow them in pots. 

There's got to be a downside or why don't more people grow them?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 13:43 »
Please do keep us updated with how you get on. I gave great consideration to purchasing a few of these last year from an eBay seller but didn't in the end as I wasn't convinced they would thrive in the situation I had planned for them and therefore couldn't justify their cost.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 14:24 »
A lass on our site has two of these, for some reason one of them has for the first time put berries on (3 years after planting  :ohmy:) they both live in the same bed, the other produced from day one and she is confused as to why.
Regarding planting, from what I can tell she has just planted it in normal soil, nothing added but will ask when I next see her.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

emptydraw

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 18:56 »
Hi Aidy,

That would be great, hopefully she can give me a few clues.

The plants I've received are very small, maybe 5inches tall, but most honeysuckles are pretty rampant, so if I can give it a good start maybe we can get some berries next year (although one of the plants does have a small cluster of three small flowers so they may even bare fruit in the first year!?!?) Fingers crossed and I will keep you posted...

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 20:28 »
it's featured in the book 'a taste of the unexpected'.

Also known as haskap (haksap?), siberian honeysuckle in case that helps you google.

I have 4 tiny plants in the ground as of this spring, so any experience greatly received here also.

xx
Honeyberry

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 16:01
by sclarke624
xx
Honeyberry

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2015, 00:38
by Kajazy
xx
Honeyberry

Started by pixie1nigel on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post December 06, 2011, 18:50
by sunshineband
xx
Honeyberry

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 18, 2012, 17:40
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 33 queries.