Laughing out loud or LOL blackberry style

• 8 Replies

Babstreefern

Laughing out loud or LOL blackberry style
« on: August 12, 2009, 21:02 »
I went shopping on Friday evening at my local superstore (the one with the big "M"), and saw a roughly sized 6"x6"x1" plastic carton with approximately 12 blackberries for £1 :ohmy:.   Yes folks £1 :blink:.  I plucked off just over a kilo of same fruit last week from my plot and gave them to my pal who makes jam, and another kilo last night :).  And "M" had the cheek to say that you could make jam out of their fruit :nowink:.  I reckon your "jam" would cost in the region of approx £20 per jar :mad:.  I got a couple of jars from my pal for free.  And all it cost me was nothing, zilch, zero :tongue2:.
Babs

Faz

• Experienced Member
Re: Laughing out loud or LOL blackberry style
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 21:07 »
Yeah I noticed a similar product recently and it made me laugh! It was reduced by just a few pence (for some reason our local supermarket doesn't really seem to reduce fruit and veg by much even when it looks like it went to vegetable heaven a few days ago!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 21:28 »
Last week I picked 4!/2lb of blackberries from the path down the side of the railway line, for nothing :D Going to get some more tomorrow...they all go in the freezer till i'm in the mood for jam making :) Only the sugar to buy and maybe a lemon...can't get much cheaper than that :lol:

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 21:35 »
What really gets me is the price of raspberries in the shops. You'd think they were gold filled - 1/2 pint for almost $4 (2 pounds UK). They grow wild in ditches, forest areas and fields. When picked, they're so easy to pull off so I'll never believe it's labor cost.
Our very late cob corn is finally in shops - 65c per cob. A local food co-op sells them for 35c each so this weekend I'll get a few dozen and be a glutton.

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 21:51 »
I was once foolish enough to actually buy some of 'M's blackberries! :blush:
They tasted like, well, nothing really! Probably travelled halfway round the world.
Got loads in the freezer now from the hedge around the lotties! :)

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 23:13 »
Discovered the spindley trees in the garden that have masses of blossom in March/April for about a week only are cherry plums. For the last 4 years pigeons have eaten the tiny fruits as soon as the flowers die but this year there were yellow fruits (neighbour has been shooting pigeons, thank the Lord!) and I discovered they were cherry plums and very edible! The jam was fantastic, but not as good as the damson which again, managed to produce mature fruit!  :tongue2: to you pigeons!

diggerjoe

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 08:46 »
Went on walk across fields from home to Combe abbey at weekend but all the blackberries are way behind still a couple of weeks away there looks as if there will be loads pick but still small and green - dissapointed as i had the jam making stuff out in readyness - still an excuse to go over again. Around here we must be later than other parts.

Babstreefern

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 19:24 »
Viettaclark - is that a mainecoon cat in your little picture?  I have one, and he's an absolute monster cutie :D.  He caught a rat a few weeks ago :ohmy:, but he won't try for the flying kind :(

lisa80

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 13:42 »
we picked over 2lb of damsons from a tree at the end of our road about 3 weeks ago made a loverly crumble :) am trying to persuede my daughter to go out blackberry picking to no avail!!!  :(

xx
A new book towards a new life style ?

Started by Bodger on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 13, 2007, 08:19
by David.
xx
What to do in March - 1721 style!

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 19, 2007, 10:27
by WG.
xx
Slug beating green-style - help please!!

Started by Cheryl B on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 23, 2010, 17:12
by Trebor
xx
Cucumbers for making scandinavian style dill pickles

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 16, 2008, 19:58
by Trillium

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 31 queries.