Covering the plot

• 12 Replies

DIGGER

Covering the plot
« on: November 03, 2008, 08:58 »
Having now completed the end of season digging an manuring,I have covered part of the plot where i shall be growing broad beans and carrots [no manure] at the end of March.
I shall be away early March and thought i would give myself a start in ground prep,and just bung some growmore on before i go away and plant on my return.
It has been suggested to me that the ground needs to be open to the elements. Any coments appart from dont be so lazy.

Salmo

Covering the plot
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 10:02 »
If you are on heavy soil you need to leave it open to allow the rain and frost to break it down.

If you are on easy working soil covering it will prevent nutrients leaching out. A green manure dug in a few weeks before planting is better.

There should not be many weeds germinating now the soil has cooled down and any that do will be easily dealt with in the Spring.

Personally I never cover soil in the winter. I believe that you should let the air and winter rains in and allow the birds to eat the bugs. Slugs love it under a plastic sheet.

To my mind the only time to cover soil is in the Summer months when the soil will be vacant and weeds will grow quickly. Again a green manure such as mustard or phacelia is probably a better bet.

DIGGER

Covering the plot
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 11:19 »
I cleared that part of the lotte at the end of Aug,so i suppose the sheeting has done its job re weeds .
Think i will take it off next time down.
Cheers

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
Covering the plot
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 21:42 »
A lot of people on my allotments cover their beds for the winter. I also cover unused beds. I cant really give you a scientific reason except that covering fits in with my lifestyle and would rather have less weeds to contend with in the spring. I have dug over layered over manure / compost and covered and left it for the worms to do their best. I will uncover in advance of planting (about two weeks). This should be long enough for the birds etc to do what they have to do!! I have raised beds and the soil doesn't need frosts to break it down.

Jazz
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

paintedlady

Covering the plot
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 07:29 »
I have to say that leaving the bed open over winter to allow frost "to break up the soil" did not work for me, and concluded it was not scientifically sound - the RAIN just knocks the soil back and the whole thing gets compacted again  :?  I have covered beds, and found 2 advantages - it warms the soil up and encourages any weed seeds to germinate but as they are covered up, are weak, spindly & blanched and a quick hoe in spring soon sorts them out  :wink:  Secondly. it warms the soil up nicely for sowing your own seeds, and also reduces waterlog which often delays sowing of seeds or planting of potatoes for most people if it has been a very wet winter/early spring  8)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
Covering the plot
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 12:03 »
Agrees!! with painted lady!! :wink:

Jazz

gingercharlie

Covering the plot
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 17:29 »
spot on-painted lady

DIGGER

Covering the plot
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 18:27 »
Interesting and thanks for the responses.At least no one called me lazy.

Trillium

Covering the plot
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 20:56 »
I never covering my garden for winter because I do want those pesky bugs killed. Any areas where extra mulch has remained are always the wettest, coldest areas come spring so I must pull away the mulch to let the soil warm and dry up in the sun. Regardless of which way I've tried it, I find the soil in spring still needs a rotovating fluff up which also throws up more hidden weed roots and rock seeds  :wink:

garddwr

Covering the plot
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 21:46 »
I think if you cover the frosts won't break the clumps

compostqueen

Covering the plot
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 22:26 »
I don't make clumps so it doesn't need the frost to break it down. Seems perverse to me so I don't bother  8)

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
Covering the plot
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 00:07 »
As Grumbling Sid Grumpo said " The answer lies in the soil"
It all depends on what your soil is like, heavy to medium clay needs the frost, light friable soils need plenty of humus and covering.....
Death OR Cake ???

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Covering the plot
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 06:04 »
Quote from: "cooperman"
As Grumbling Sid Grumpo said "

You're on the right track! It's Rambling Sid Rumpo, but it was not that character. Right actor - Kenneth Williams - but the character was Arthur Fallowfield.

There - that's shown my age.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
COVERING YOUR PLOT

Started by CHRISDONOHUE on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 03, 2020, 12:51
by Yorkie
xx
what needs covering........

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 08:05
by Stratts
xx
What needs covering

Started by NorfolkVeg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 20:00
by NorfolkVeg
xx
Covering up for winter

Started by Longshanks on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 23, 2018, 17:25
by Dev

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 38 queries.