Cut or leave newly planted raspberry canes?

• 7 Replies

Loubs

• Experienced Member
Cut or leave newly planted raspberry canes?
« on: November 23, 2009, 06:54 »
Hello everyone,
I bought 2 packs of raspberry canes from a garden centre yesterday, which I'll plant in the lottie as soon as we get a dryish weekend - meaning will have to stand in my back yard for the forseeable future. Both lots have canes about a foot high, with a bit of fresh leaf growth coming through.

Summer fruiting - Tulameen - this is straightforward - know I should just plant & leave be and hopefully will get a few berries off this one next summer.

But wondering what I should be doing with Autumn Bliss variety - should I plant it and then cut it down to the ground, or is that a bit harsh?
Many thanks,
Loubs

tode

Re: Cut or leave newly planted raspberry canes?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 07:41 »
You can cut the Autumn rasps right down after planting.

I wouln't leave em standing around, though (unless they're in pots) : dig a little trench and heel em in, so they don't dry out.       :)

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 21:16 »
Cheers for that Tode - wasn't sure about cutting 'em - now I will.

Luckily they're potted up so I can leave them be for a few weeks if I need to - has rained heavily every day for several weeks now so allotment too saturated to plant anything for the time being.

Ta,
Lou

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 21:24 »

- has rained heavily every day for several weeks now so allotment too saturated to plant anything for the time being.

................rice may become a popular crop at this rate...... :blink:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 21:24 »
Personally I always cut them down to 3-4 buds, just in case  ;)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 22:42 »
Personally I always cut them down to 3-4 buds, just in case  ;)

That sounds a wise in-between move.... might follow that one myself as I have Autumn and Summer muddled up in one line!  ::)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 23:17 »
That sounds a wise in-between move.... might follow that one myself as I have Autumn and Summer muddled up in one line!  ::)

I've got the same problem: At this time of year any cane which looks as if it has fruited this year and is woody and knackered I chop down to the ground, the others I shorten to about 4-5 foot to help get them through the winter weather and hopefully ready to perform next year. Not perfect, of course, but it enables the summer variety to fruit normally, plus gives a few early rasps off the autumn ones before their new fruiting canes develop for the autumn crop.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 00:05 »

I've got the same problem: At this time of year any cane which looks as if it has fruited this year and is woody and knackered I chop down to the ground, the others I shorten to about 4-5 foot to help get them through the winter weather and hopefully ready to perform next year. Not perfect, of course, but it enables the summer variety to fruit normally, plus gives a few early rasps off the autumn ones before their new fruiting canes develop for the autumn crop.

Just as soon as my Wellies stop sticking in the mud that's going to be 2nd job on the list.... thanks.  ;)

xx
Just planted raspberry canes in pots .. when should I plant them out ?

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 06, 2013, 22:18
by gremlin
xx
Newly planted leeks

Started by starmoonlilly on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2007, 13:31
by starmoonlilly
xx
Newly planted Rasperries?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 08:04
by Cavolo Nero
xx
newly planted asparagus curving over

Started by PennyS on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 12:43
by PennyS

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 35 queries.