Cats in trouble

• 27 Replies

Raven81

Re: Cats in trouble
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 20:58 »
I would urge you to contact the RSPCA even just for a chat, unlike the police you don't have to make a formal statement.

They are the experts in their field who can advise you on your rights and maybe on how to try to resolve the situation before it goes any further.
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

grinling

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 21:10 »
My garden had purple slate over weed surpressant so cats could not dig it in and having a small garden (7mx7m)  could easily identify it. I have grown up with cats and cleared up my mum's cat messses as she would not go outside.
I do not think that a cat would lick bleach as it smells and would burn their tongue.
Speak to your neighbour and offer an olive branch.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 22:51 »
I have a cat but wouldn't like cats pooing in my garden.  Mine uses outside litter trays which I change regularly.  They do cover their poo when the soil is dry and loose but not in winter and tend to favour one spot which can get extremly smelly. 

I would try and talk with your neighbour and offer to do as much as possible to resolve the matter.  However I would also let them know that you will report them to the RSPCA if they take matters into their own hands.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

spottymint

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 20:39 »
I would make it known what she has said, that way if anything happens (pray god, it doesen't), but at least she will be firmly in the spotlight for the cruelty.

Why tell your daughter ? she must know she would tell you ? (maybe her plan was to wind you up).

Sorry I can't give any better advise.

The fact she's nice to your face, but then comes out with things behind your back, seems so nasty & makes things harder to deal with.

At least if she came to you before moaning to others, you could have looked for solutions, but to say nothing to you & threaten to poison them ?  I won't say what I am thinking.

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 12:55 »
There is no excuse for cruelty to animals but in my opinion, cats and their owners should be treated the same way in law as are dogs and their owners.

There is nothing worse that pulling up your veg with a dollop of cat poo on it, or hitting a some with the lawn mower to spread it about.

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 13:27 »
Well I think you could say its near on impossible to treat cat owners the same as dog owners. Cats could stray for miles in a day and maybe be gone for a week or more, who knows what they get up to in that time and I wouldn't be prepared to follow them with a bucket and spade just encase they do naughties in someone's garden. If you was suppose to pick up after them you would be able to buy special poo bags for them the same as dogs. Sorry but cats are natural roamers and what anyone says about them there mine and they live like cats should do. That's why so many products are available for gardens as repellents. By the way she don't grow anything in her garden only loads of old motorbike and junk, so I've got my eye on her and I wouldn't hesitate to report her if need be simples.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 14:05 »
Please don't let this degenerate into a more generalised argument about cats.....love'em or hate'em !
If it does it will be locked!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 14:27 »
I have a catWatch in my garden as I feel lots of wild birds and don't want the cats to hunt them.

I don't see any cats in my garden.

Spana

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 15:17 »
Have you thought about making a sand pit in your garden.  Cats love sand to go in, but you would have to keep it clean.

If you went round to the neighbours and took a water pistol or a even a super soaker to use and explain that you have made a sand pit for the cats, they might be friendly about it and you can deal with the problem together. :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 17:23 »
We've always provided soft soil toilet areas in the garden for our cats but the fact is that they use their business as a way of communicating to other cats about territory and dominance so often do it away from home.
The law recognises that cats are not like dogs - hardly trainable (you can say sit all day long and the cat will ignore you) but on the other hand, you never hear of them tearing a child to shreds.
There may well be cat poo in your garden but it's as likely to be a cat from half a mile away as the one next door.
There are good cat deterrents available and a squirt with a water pistol will do them no harm but putting down poison etc is illegal. Even if you hate the cats, think about the owner. Could be some little old lady or a small child heartbroken. Or some pyscho who'll come and discuss it with you when there are no witnesses  :ohmy:
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

spottymint

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 21:03 »
To pick up on cat's roaming.

I have 2 cat's (one roams to the food bowl & back to the couch), neighbour has 1 cat, other neighbour 3 cat's, house over the road 1 cat.

My garden is not full of poo & the only pain cat is a ginger tom who lives ?

Haven't a clue, but if he's on the fence he spits at you !

:D

Cat's are treated differently in law to dogs, for more info Cat's protection site can give you all the details, remember reading it.

Oh, forgot I feed the birds & no cat's here kills or harms them.

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 21:18 »
Yes I also feed the birds and I don't think they would know what to do with it if they did catch one. As for the ginger on the fence he sounds very bold and brave maybe he classes it as his territory especially if you own a Tom cat. I think they go to her garden mainly for the mice there's loads in her garage so they do keep the mouse population down at least. My cats do have litter trays as well as going out. One of my Tom cats hasn't been home today yet looking out for him hope he's ok x

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 08:34 »
Cats use their excrement to mark the edge of their territory not the centre of it.

xx
cats one rule for dogs one for cats

Started by traacyken on Pets without Feathers

60 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 22:25
by mumofstig
xx
Why we are having trouble finishing the jigsaw.

Started by DD. on Pets without Feathers

23 Replies
Last post February 11, 2012, 09:43
by plum crumble
xx
Who would have cats ?

Started by spottymint on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 08:20
by composthappens
xx
Cats

Started by dookie on Pets without Feathers

84 Replies
Last post December 02, 2009, 00:07
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 39 queries.