Dogs on beds

• 50 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Dogs on beds
« on: December 11, 2011, 07:25 »
I hate it! I don't even like dogs in bedrooms. In 17 years My old dog never slept in my bedroom. But OH used to have his lurchers on his bed (one roomed flat so no choice but to have them in the room) and he eventually got his way to let Bonnie lab sleep upstairs when she was upset with fireworks but definitely not on the bed! Hate it! Now of course Bella couldn't be left downstairs (though she managed for a year, till the dreaded fireworks hit again)

Occasionally, for a special treat they are allowed up for a short cuddle, which is usually a wriggle as they vie for best positions, though they can never decide which body is best for cuddles. With OH away again, I thought if I fed the little darlings early and went back to bed I could have a lie in. As a treat I invited them up, after making sure I was central in a kingsize bed with masses of duvet available, so I settled with Bonnie beside me and Bella along my legs.

So how did I end up teetering on the very edge? With Bonnie contentedly wiffling in my ear and Bella using my legs as a pillow. They didn't seem to move but they must have just pushed me over trying to get closest. Gave up at 5 and got up, with excruciating back ache, and took them out for a run. They are now happily dozing in front of the fire while I am wide awake with a hot water bottle on my back! >:(

I know someone who has two labs and two lab/mastiff crosses, and a partner, all on the bed. She says it's not a problem, they all know their place. There must be times.................

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Dogs on beds
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 10:22 »
We used to have the dogs sleeping in the bedroom but when we got Ollie we decided to keep her downstairs. Charlie is now too old and sometimes struggles to manage the stairs so she now sleeps downstairs too. On the rare occasion when having a lie in and they both manage to sneak upstairs I find myself in the same position as you - one dog (a mastiff) on my head and the other (Newfoundland X across my legs and both of them snore louder than a steam train. They manage to sleep perfectly ok unlike me  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

madcat

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 10:25 »
It does take practise  :dry:  ...  try again tonight   :lol:

(I have cats - small, soft and squashable, so I have to be careful that OH nor I roll on them ...  They still occupy the centre half   8))
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Spana

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 11:02 »
I also hate dogs on beds but i must have the dogs in the bedroom on their own beds.  :happy:

I think its part of the pack thing. The whole pack retires to the sleeping quarters together, the pack leaders- me and OH 8) - have the best bed in the highest position looking down on the rest of the pack.  Sometimes if one or both of the pack leaders is having a lie in or is a bit poorly they  can invite  one of the lower ranks to share the top spot but it must be only on invitation, whinging at the side of the  pack leaders bed gets a sharp 'Back on your bed' with no negotiation. :happy:

Auntiemogs

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 11:20 »
Ah madcat, I remember having the most awful nights sleep and waking up pinned to the bed with an 18lb tabby on my chest (RIP Moose)!  :happy: I now fight for space with Izzy as his half is not big enough for him to sleep horizontally across the bed!  :D
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 11:30 »
I'd so love my lab to sleep on my bed more but she does this only now and then. There is no more beautiful a sound than sleeping labrador breathing in the night...... ;)
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 11:39 »
I don't mind dogs in the room, but definitely not on the bed. I've been sorely tempted recently with the Border Collie being so frightened of the weather noises, but have resisted temptation.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 11:44 »
I also hate dogs on beds but i must have the dogs in the bedroom on their own beds.  :happy:

I think its part of the pack thing. The whole pack retires to the sleeping quarters together, the pack leaders- me and OH 8) - have the best bed in the highest position looking down on the rest of the pack.  Sometimes if one or both of the pack leaders is having a lie in or is a bit poorly they  can invite  one of the lower ranks to share the top spot but it must be only on invitation, whinging at the side of the  pack leaders bed gets a sharp 'Back on your bed' with no negotiation. :happy:

Definitely!

I'd so love my lab to sleep on my bed more but she does this only now and then. There is no more beautiful a sound than sleeping labrador breathing in the night...... ;)

Really? Don't know if this will work.

Video so might not work.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 11:47 by tosca100 »

Auntiemogs

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 11:56 »
 :mad:

Spana

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 13:00 »
 :) :) :) yeh, it works :happy:

It sleeps with its eyes half open like my old beardie used to :happy:

I like it when you and them have been out working or for a walk, come in cream crackered and crash out on the sofa in front of the fire with the dog. That lovely smell of cold damp dog warming up is heavenly, and I do agree, the breathing sound is so soothing :blink: No sure about snoring tho :D

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 13:01 »
ooooh heaven!   Can I have that bottled for Christmas please???????

Springlands

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 13:56 »
That was lovely Tosca. Our cat used to love to sneak in between OH and I - but she used to wait until we were asleep before doing it - just to surprise us.  :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 15:33 »
She doesn't snore as loudly as the Collie!  :lol:

Thrift

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 16:11 »
 :lol: :lol: That reminds me of my old german shepherd but he was definitely not on the bed. I've never let dogs on the bed as for one thing I wouldn't sleep a wink.

However, I remember one very cold night when a young G.S bitch sneaked up the stairs, quiet as a mouse, and I woke to find her stretched out beside me with her head on the pillow! Luckily she was too young to snore.

sarajane

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 23:05 »
aaaah tosca. doesn't she look peaceful. ;)

Our scruffy terrier jumps on the bed when OH gets up for work at 5.00 a.m. in the warm spot.

Trouble arises on his 2 days off.  He still gets up at 5.00 a.m., goes for a cuppa and then back to bed by which time old Scamp is snoring his head off and OH cant get him off the bed so he can get back in.  I believe there is usually a low growl from the nomally placid Scamp and a bit of name calling by the OH until he can get back into bed.  I don't hear any of this as I am in the land of nod and wake up to find Scamp on my side, gripping to the edge of the bed with his paws, refusing to go back on the lovely cushion he has in the room.

Dogs  -  who'd have 'em... Bless 'em  :)  :)  :)

xx
Fostering dogs

Started by twissle on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post October 03, 2010, 16:08
by twissle
xx
My dogs had a stroke

Started by kitkat on Pets without Feathers

30 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 21:39
by davethespread
xx
why do some dogs scavenge ??

Started by starry on Pets without Feathers

30 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 20:07
by Thrift
xx
ringworm in dogs

Started by karlooben on Pets without Feathers

11 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 13:10
by karlooben

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 38 queries.