hens and bantams together, when to buy??

• 4 Replies

timtheenchanteruk

hens and bantams together, when to buy??
« on: December 01, 2011, 20:26 »
Im looking at getting a couple of bantams to go with my 2 "normal" chucks, looking at something like the pekins, or that kind of style (if thats the right word) but the final breed has  yet to be decided.

So, how well do full size chucks get on with bantams, both my ladies are fairly laid back, non aggressive, one being a bluebell the other a black star.

Is there a good time of year to buy, looking at after Christmas as we are away for 2 weeks over Christmas with a chickensitter sorted, but don't want to leave new aquisitions with them, I feel its unfair on the chucks and the sitter, as they would be housed in their run for the 2 weeks, whereas when we are around the have the full garden during the day.
Or would we be better off leaving it till better weather in the spring (are chickens cheaper in the spring, with natural breeding happening???)

helens-hens

Re: hens and bantams together, when to buy??
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 13:38 »
I think generally people say to try and have hens that are about the same size to avoid potential bullying but I am sure there are plenty of owners on this site who have both hens and banatams that live happily together. I agree about no getting them until you come back off holiday - there are likely to be rows & fights as the pecking order is established & its not really fair for somebody else to oversee that.

I would wait until nearer spring (I am hoping to increase my 2 hen 'flock' then). Remember you should quarantine the new arrivals for about 2 weeks until you integrate them with your other hens. Perhaps during this time they can be in site of your existing girls so that they can start to get used to them. Make sure you get some anti-pecking spray & gentian violet spray (disguises any blood to help prevent further pecking). Apparently when 1st introducing them it is a good idea to add the newcomers at night in the hen house when your other hens are asleep of dopy. Make sure you let them out promptly in the morning though!

Best of luck. It will be my 1st time for adding to my flock in the spring and though excited I must admit I am dreading the part where the pecking order is sorted out!
Helen

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 21:37 »
I have an Araucana bantam with eight hybrids and pure breed (large fowl) hens. One of our hybrids went broody (which isn't meant to happen!), someone needed some eggs hatching out so we popped some under her, made a bit of a bad job of it (us not her) and she hatched out our little 'Chick'!

She's a bit of a drama queen at the moment as she's moulting and feeling sensitive, but she gets on ok with them. She's at the bottom of the pecking order though. She knows who to keep out of the way of and who won't give her a peck! She's actually rather fond of our hen who is top of the pecking order!

Be careful of the integration with them being smaller and I would wait until the holidays are over, when you can be there to make sure things go smoothly.
8 chickens, 5 cats, 2 guinea pigs and 1 other half.

HelenMckenzie

• Our Dolly & Ginger
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 09:17 »
we have a bantum & a standard hen & they seem to get on ok, the bantum was first by a few days (arrived in our garden one day & we couldnt find out where she came from so we ended up keeping her & got a fraind for her!) & she is the fuler of the roost for sure!!!

we are thinking of adding to our flock in the spring & wondered how you keep them segregated from the others?

also, we were thinking of getting ex bat hens this time but wast sure it they would be ok when introducing them???

evie2

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 16:11 »
I'd wait until spring before getting new hens, that also gives you plenty of time to have a good look around  ;)  We have LF free ranging with Sabelpoots and Dutch bantams, both breeds are very much smaller than the LF.  They didn't always live together and have their ups and downs but the boss hen is one of the Sabelpoots :)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
Hens or Bantams

Started by TP on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 14:26
by Casey76
xx
Hens V Bantams?

Started by francais on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 21:04
by matilda duck
xx
hens or bantams??

Started by gowing238 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 22, 2011, 16:42
by gowing238
xx
Bantams in with ordinary hens?

Started by BML on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 19:55
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 38 queries.