Help identifying tomato problem

• 5 Replies

burningmatt

Help identifying tomato problem
« on: April 19, 2011, 15:38 »
Hi,

I'm completely new to growing veg, and my tomatoes appear to be going wrong.  Maybe I'm just being rubbish but I can't figure out the problem from info I've found online.

Can anyone experienced help please?

The leaves, starting with the oldest, are turning brown from the edge in.  On some of the plants the second set of leaves is starting to go, but not uniformly from the edge - there are some small darker spots showing as well.  There are no yellow halos, just brown.  On the worst affected plant all the newer leaves have a very slight thin brown edge to them.

The first plant to show signs did so early on, pretty much immediately after first potting on.  Something had happened to the growing point - looked like it had snapped off - so I thought maybe it was a fungal infection it had picked up from the air.  It's still surviving, kept well away from the other plants, but is smaller - however this is at least partly because it's been outside for over a month in all weathers while the others were in a growhouse.

Any hints would be gratefully received!

Thanks

Matt

The others have started to show it in the last week.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 16:05 by Aunt Sally »

Lardman

Re: Help identifying tomato problem
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 15:45 »
No idea what the weather is like there but its far too cold for tomato plants to be outside at night here. Anything less than 10 and they sulk , yours looks like its having a major tantrum.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 16:00 »
I've added the pictures to your post burningmatt.

We do prefer pictures to links please :)

burningmatt

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 16:44 »
No idea what the weather is like there but its far too cold for tomato plants to be outside at night here. Anything less than 10 and they sulk , yours looks like its having a major tantrum.

It's quite warm here at the mo (Brighton), and the growhouse is in a sheltered spot anyway, but it has dropped below 10 a few times since they went out there.  I haven't really had much choice in putting them out there - they got too big for the windowsill, so maybe next year I should start them later.  The one outside I wasn't expecting to survive because I thought it had a hideous infection!  I only kept it to see what the progression would be.

If it's just unhappiness about cold then that's a relief - assuming no permanent damage, that is...  I was worried it might be something I'd have to nip in the bud by destroying the plants before it eats everything in the growhouse!

I've added the pictures to your post burningmatt.

We do prefer pictures to links please :)
Oops - thank you for doing that!  I'll know for next time...

M

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 16:56 »

Got to agree, still to cold for anywhere without heating.

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 20:51 »
I had the same problem exactly last year.  It was just after I planted them up and we had couple of cooler days.  The leaves started to tinge purple along the edges, until the whole leaf turned dark.

I tried feeding them, but it is a waste of time.  The leaf will either die back, or become stunted.  The good news though is that whilst they hate low temperatures, they are resiliant little *.  My dying looking stumps bloomed into life and had no further problems.

They do sulk....

xx
Identifying tomato plants

Started by Redcoat on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2021, 08:19
by Redcoat
clip
Tomato problem

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 28, 2020, 18:28
by AnneB
xx
Do I have a tomato problem?

Started by Maccbean on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 18, 2010, 10:52
by savbo
xx
Tomato problem.

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 17:17
by WhippetMaster

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 36 queries.