Brown bay tree

• 11 Replies

woodavon

Brown bay tree
« on: April 18, 2011, 22:41 »
OK I've read other comments about frost damaged leaves....  I couldn't move our bay tree indoors but did shelter it as much as pos this winter but its leaves are still crispy and brown :(  I've watered it loads but should I just remove the leaves as they die or prune the branches back?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Brown bay tree
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 22:49 »
I've pruned mine right back, given them plenty of water but no food.  I've also given them a bug spray (very rare for me) just in case they have to contend with that this year.

There's nothing more I can do, and I'm crossing my fingers, as these were 'hospital' plants that I bought cheaply a few years ago and they are very special to me.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 22:49 »
Mine are the same.  I have pruned them back to about half their size but many leaves are still brown.  Now waiting to see if new green shoots appear.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 06:10 »
last summer I didn't realise how dry the pot had got until I was staring at a tree covered in brown leaves  :wub:  Although it looked dead, the main wood was still green, so I cut it right back, repotted it and nursed it and although slow at first, new shoots appeared and it's now fine  :D  So don't despair, I'm sure they'll recover!

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:20 »
Mine has gone the same but I haven't done anything with it yet as I didn't know what to do.

When you say "cut it right back" what do you mean - cut it right down so there are no branches left on it, or cut it at strategic places?
I always find that work gets in the way of life.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 09:43 »
Mine has gone the same but I haven't done anything with it yet as I didn't know what to do.

When you say "cut it right back" what do you mean - cut it right down so there are no branches left on it, or cut it at strategic places?

I've cut mine right back to where the wood is still green and removed all the dead wood.

Scrape away a bit of bark in different places.  It will show you where it is green or dead. Also check if the wood is 'bendy' in areas too.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 09:52 »
Thanks for starting this topic, i was getting very worried about one of mine too :(

Will give it a trim later.  Its one of an identical pair so the other will have to have a haircut too to match ::)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 10:45 »
Bay is OK down to about -5 degrees C but then starts to suffer.  My mini standard bay which I grew from a cutting is looking sad as well, but I'm going to prune back to live wood like Peapod suggests.

The good news is that bay is very tough and it should come back.  I use a liquid seaweed foliar feed to revive stressed plants.  I have no scientific reason for this, but it seems to have magical properties on plants that have had a hammering  :)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 10:48 »
Newshoot thanks!

Youve just reminded me I need to buy some seaweed feed  ;)

BabbyAnn

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 11:08 »

When you say "cut it right back" what do you mean

I've cut mine right back to where the wood is still green and removed all the dead wood.

sorry, yes that's what I meant, thank you peapod  :) 

woodavon

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 17:56 »
All very helpful - brilliant thanks!  Let the pruning begin.  Never heard of the liquid seaweed stuff before but I'll definitely be buying some. ::)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 20:48 »
A pleasure BabbyAnn  :)

xx
Small damsel tree and apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2022, 11:41
by mdjlucan
xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie
xx
I've had it up to here with brown rot!

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 22:38
by viettaclark
xx
BROWN LIME

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 02, 2019, 17:06
by New shoot

Page created in 0.629 seconds with 39 queries.