What's in a name..?

• 9 Replies

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
What's in a name..?
« on: August 23, 2010, 09:18 »
My wife pointed out to me this weekend that not only have I not bothered naming my Seramas, but I had also forgotten the names of a couple of my layers. She did tell me and this morning I had forgotten again!  ::)

Does this mean I have reached the point of having too many to consider them pets?  :lol:

Casey76

Re: What's in a name..?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 09:38 »
Only last years layers have names - everything I hatched this year doesn't - except bimble and bumble my sabelpoots (byut they do get called interchangabely as i can't remember which is which lol!

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 09:55 »
I pointedly didn't name the five chicks as a few are destined to be joined by Paxo and roast potatoes.  ::)

I don't think I need to be contacting Defra just yet, but I am losing track!  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 18:22 »
I have now decided to follow Grannie Annies method and just name the cockerels, so all new girls will just be known as chick chick  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 21:15 »
My girls have got names Joy!.....

Bertie's girls, Rocky's girl, BB's Girls, Beefy's girls, Jeeves girls!  Even though Jeeves went to live elsewhere!   :D :D

pigeonpie

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 22:38 »
I've only named the real characters who I can tell apart so easily but my friend's kids came with me to pick up the new girls yesterday and decided that they all ought to be named as well as the old girls.  We now have a whole list of random names including a Barry and a Doug (and yes, they do know they're girls!) and one named Cat.  If I ever have to take Barry or Doug to the vets I may be too embarrassed to give their names!

evie2

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 17:09 »
I can't tell the difference between our 5 Sablepoots so they're all called 'babies'.

The 2 black bantams who came with our 'surprise' hen yesterday are indistinguishable from one another so they're both Houdini, because one kept escaping and laying in the furthest corner of the barn behind the hay.

I did wonder if everyone named every chicken they got    :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 17:18 by evie2 »
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 17:12 »
All of our chickens are named, admittedly we only have 8 at the moment - all have proper girly names apart from Poulet Noir or (Poulet to his/her friends) as he/she is a little black Silkie our broody hatched so we have no idea yet if it's a boy or a girl.

I should (hopefully) be getting more chicks from my mum and dad later in the year as they have a broody sat on eggs and yes, they will all get names too!
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 18:56 »
Original six  - Ruby, Henrietta, Jasmine, Penny, Katie & Gertrude. (hybrids)

First hatch - Pingu, Puff, Peggety- (Pekin bantams) and the Buff Puff girls - (2 Buff orpington Bantams)

2nd Hatch -  Bumble bee & Funky (crested legbars)

::)

Cx
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

mumsy

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 20:55 »
Mine have to have names all starting with a different letter, as they all lay different coloured eggs, I only have to put the initial on the calender of whose laid!!!! Although we do have two M's,  ( due to our Grandaughter insisting!!) so it's.............

Amelia, Bobbie, Dotty, Holly, Jenhen, Lily, Miele, Molly, Peppa, Rosie, Shirley!!! 

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 41 queries.