pectin

• 16 Replies

chrissie B

pectin
« on: May 10, 2010, 19:00 »
will somebody please tell me when its pectin season, i checked on line what shops would have it asda, morrisons and there was another , so went into said shops and was told its not pectin season no one is making jams yet , any ideas
chrissie b
the pectin was from silverspoon.
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

SarahB

• Experienced Member
Re: pectin
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 19:31 »
I've seen pectin in two forms: in bottles (about the size of lemon juice bottles, can't remember the name), and as jam sugar, I think Silver Spoon do theirs in red and white bags.  Don't know about the sugar, but the liquid pectin is available all year round from Tesco, though I can't say I've had good results with it.

You can always make your own pectin stock.  Roughly chop a couple of large cooking apples, cores and all.  Put in a saucepan with enough water to cover and cook until pulpy.  Strain it through a jelly bag and you can add the resultant stock to your fruit pulp for jam-making.  If the stock is too runny you can boil it down a bit.  Don't forget to add a bit of lemon juice to help get a set.  The pectin stock will keep for a couple of weeks in the fridge.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 19:59 »
I would have thought they would stock it from June for strawberry jam, but I suppose the main season is later when all the other soft fruits are ready.
But I have noticed them selling the pectin sachets less and less.........I had to buy the sugar with it in last year, and that way is more expensive :(

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 21:15 »
Doesn't help anyone here, but we can get powdered pectin all year at the grocery shops. The department and major discount stores stock them only seasonally.
Personally, I don't like the liquid stuff as I've never done well with it. I prefer the powder, which I'll always look for on clearances and sales and stock up big time. It will keep for a few years despite packaging which says no. I think if you keep asking your major grocery chains for it, then they might start carrying it more regularly.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 21:53 »
If you need it, the liquid pectin is called Certo
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Spana

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 22:07 »
........and if you make your own with cooking apples slice the apples into a pie and make the pectin stock with just the cores and peel.  You can also make apple jelly with just cores and peel :)

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 07:07 »
I bought silver spoon powdered pectin from Accrington Asda last week. They also have jam sugar with pectin already added.
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

sclarke624

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 13:12 »
Pectin was in Tesco and sainsbury last month, usually near the sugar.  Tesco do the Certo, I think Morrisons do the powdered one.  And they all do the jam sugar not to be confused with preserving sugar.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 18:34 »
Pectin was in Tesco and sainsbury last month, usually near the sugar.  Tesco do the Certo, I think Morrisons do the powdered one.  And they all do the jam sugar not to be confused with preserving sugar.

I've not heard of the preserving sugar - what's the difference between it and the jam sugar?

Spana

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 19:40 »
I think its supposed to dissolve quicker and give a brighter finish.  But i think you would need special equipment to see any difference from using granulated.

sclarke624

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 23:29 »

Preserving sugar:
http://www.silverspoon.co.uk/home/products/sugar-and-syrups-for-cooking/preserving-sugar

Jam sugar:
http://www.silverspoon.co.uk/home/products/sugar-and-syrups-for-cooking/preserving-sugar

I almost got the preserving sugar instead of Jam sugar, which how I know about it.  Think the Preserving is as Spana says and it hasn't got pectin in it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 23:34 by sclarke624 »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 19:19 »
Aah.  All is clear  :D

chrissie B

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 17:06 »
thanks for the ideas i went round all the big shops that ive had it from in the past and no luck
i like this type as its easy to bring over here , will just have to make my own
do you have to take the pips out when you use the cores ?or can you leave them in .
chrissie b

Beetroot queen

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 17:43 »
I had a nightmare trying to find it last year uinfact some lovely person on here sent me a packet  :wub: and I can not remember who is was, many many apologies if it was someone reading this  :blush:

SarahB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 22:42 »
do you have to take the pips out when you use the cores ?or can you leave them in .
You can leave them in.  They've got a small amount of something unpleasant in (cyanide?), but it shouldn't be a problem unless you chop the pips up finely and use pounds and pounds of them.  :)

xx
Pectin, what is it?

Started by rictic on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 22:15
by johnfh
xx
Pectin

Started by Membrillo on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post July 07, 2011, 20:26
by Membrillo
xx
Pectin question

Started by littlelisa on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post December 08, 2010, 15:45
by mumofstig
xx
Pectin source

Started by RJR_38 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

25 Replies
Last post August 13, 2013, 19:33
by BobE

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 29 queries.