Hen won't eat

• 22 Replies

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
Re: Hen won't eat
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 13:24 »
Does she like porridge or yogurt?

I've tried mixing in all sorts with these 2  - the porridge more so in winter but if she needs fatteing up, it might be worth a try?

Mine like mash mixed with yogurt or porridge plus yogurt and mash.  Or yogurt with tuna or yogurt with  marmite....

Might be worth a try??

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 13:40 »
Thanks for the sugestion but I'm not sure she would eat any of those and I don't really want to offer them as they would all become hooked on it and that would not be good for them :(

She is fit and well and active.  Having examined my other bird of the same breed I don't think she is much thinner.  She is finding enough 'wild food' to keep her in good condition but just not enough to make eggs.  My other Bovans Nera who is older than her eats like a horse and lays an egg most days.

ChrisAndrews

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 13:12 »
I am having the same problem with 1 of my hens but she is only 8 months old.

The problem is, the little madam has learnt to moan and moan and moan as she paces back and forth up and down the last free range fence boundery!!! and I mean she really moans, she is almost like an out of tune cockerel!!

And I admit, because of noise / neighbours and the fact that I don't want her to starve I break and end up taking her the corn which shuts her up!!  Grrrrrh..

I eagerly await a possible solution or some form of magic powder I can add to the layers pellets to get her interested in them again as I seem to of ended up with a small child who refuses to eat her dinner and crys and kicks off till she gets the sweets!!!  hehe

+1. This is exactly what all three of my Faverolles are doing.  I wouldn't be shocked to go home and find the neighbours have "accidently" thrown a fox in with them!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 13:51 »
nice neighbours you have I must say.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ChrisAndrews

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 17:27 »
Yea. Sorry about that, probably not a suitable comment on a poultry forum.  You have my apologies.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 17:30 »
Yea. Sorry about that, probably not a suitable comment on a poultry forum.  You have my apologies.

why would they throw a fox in with them, dont your neighbours like them.   nickyx :mad:
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 17:46 »

I think we realised it was a joke to point out what a terrible noise they were making  :)

Hawkins

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 21:35 »
Glad she seems to be okay Aunty, Chickens Eh they have us well trained.
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 40 queries.