Can you make 8 acre profitable?

• 13 Replies

wcah

Can you make 8 acre profitable?
« on: May 24, 2012, 22:14 »
Just getting around to deciding what to do with our land, it has a small holder number with defra. Basical weve been doing up the house for the last 3 years and now were getting to the end of it were turning our eye onto the land.
For the last few years iv just let a neighbour graze the land in return for hedge cutting, muck spreding and given him 200 small bales hay for producing 400-500 bales so in effect weve only had money off the land for the 200-300 small bale sales.
Surley we could make more money from the land? As a kid my dad reared cows, sheep, pigs, quail,  rabbits, turkeys all for meat and also had a load of hens for the eggs, so i do have the basics of looking after such animals. So far were thinking of hatching some turkeys ready for the Christmas trade only 15-20 for friends and family (dont know if i need a licence or something?) How hard is it now a days to deal with defra? what about passports and paperwork they now require? it all sounds so daunting.
What would you peeps do with 8 acres?

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
Re: Can you make 8 acre profitable?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 23:41 »
It might be a good idea to talk to defra, they you have the info first hand.
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 00:47 »
The first thing I'd look at is self-sufficiency. Producing your own vegetables, fruit, eggs and at least chicken meat and pork will reduce your bills considerably. The less you need the more your money (and any additional income) is worth.

Raising some turkeys will produce a bit of pocket money

A lot depends on the land itself - we've only got poor pasture around here but not far away there's a vinyard. 8 acres is enough to consider that assuming it's facing the right way etc.

The trick to maximising income is not to compete where you can't win. Look to supply things people will pay a premium for - rare breed meats, home made cheese. But whatever you do, enjoy doing it because you won't get rich in money although you may well get a lifestyle that's very rich (hope that makes sense!)

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Chrysalis

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 19:46 »
There is a book called Ten Acres Enough by Edmund Morris.  Lots of info on self-sufficiency for a large family.  It details his first three years of "farming"...

It's not pricey...

Sounds like a wonderful project you've got on. :D

wcah

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 21:39 »
It might be a good idea to talk to defra, they you have the info first hand.

Well i have spent the last 2 hours on the defra website and to be honest it has pecked my head and i know no more, so yeh might have to TALK to them to see if they an shed any light to my questions?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 15:15 »
You say you have a small holder number from DEFRA, I assume you mean a CPH or county parish holding number? If you were to keep cattle, pigs, sheep or goats you would need to obtain herd/flock numbers and the animals would need to have ear tags and therefore passports (one and the same thing to all intents and purposes). You need to possess a CPH for a poultry flock in excess of, I think, 50 birds but is easily checked.

I think this is a very informative article:

http://www.smallholder.co.uk/news/927599.registering_a_holding/

With 8 acres I'd do much as John has already said. A few chickens for eggs and meat, maybe a couple of pigs and loads of veg - plenty room for polytunnels - be as self-sufficient as possible.

Lucky you, enjoy what you have. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

amurdin

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 19:33 »
would love to have so much land, got a spare acre by any chance?  :tongue2:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 11:31 »
for flocks of birds over 50 you just have to register and you can do this on line which can be found here.
50 birds includes all types of birds in total not just chickens so if you have 30 chickens 10 ducks 3 guinea fowl and 8 geese you would need to be registered.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Redgoat

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 21:45 »
You can make a profit on anything if you work hard enough!

Snoop

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 08:47 »
Interesting resurrection of this thread, Redgoat.

wcah, can you tell us how you're getting on?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 08:52 »
Interesting resurrection of this thread, Redgoat.

wcah, can you tell us how you're getting on?

wcah hasn't been back since  :(

Snoop

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 13:45 »
wcah hasn't been back since  :(

Oh dear :(

I hope that merely means no internet connection (as was my case during a long absence from this site) rather than a failed project.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 20:44 »
Thinking about it, the question isn't 'can you make 8 acres profitable' - that's easy. Invest a huge amount of money and build a factory or intensive pig-rearing or massive tomato growing glass houses. The question is how best to use 8 acres to live sustainably and provide some income.

chasingmytail

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 23:30 »
I know its a old thread but I think its a good question that I see a lot on various forums.  The answer is only if you convert to a market garden and do box schemes or similar CSA.  You will not have enough land for animals - yes a chicken layer on pasture but on rotation.  Enough land for self sufficiency but the investment would take a while to recoup.  I have a 10 acre field over the farm and its an ok size but I wouldnt consider cattle due to lack of rotation and growing pasture (import feeds).  A couple of pigs, layers, eating chickens and loads of fruit, veg and salads, bees & trees.  Anyone who follows the Urban Gardener in Canada and there are lots in New York. Even so its just going to break even - dangers of weather problems, failing crops, disease etc..... all in all NO. This size of field will provide you a nice self sufficient space

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 40 queries.