How do i know when leeks are ready to pick?

• 11 Replies

CazAmelia

How do i know when leeks are ready to pick?
« on: April 09, 2010, 09:53 »
I've only just got my allotment in the last week, and there are some leeks already growing there which are quite big - can i pick them now or if not, how do i know when they're ready to be picked?  Same question for spring onions too - well i think they're spring onions anyhow, definitely some sort of onion! thanks  :unsure:

Nobbie

Re: How do i know when leeks are ready to pick?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 10:32 »
Any leeks left at this time of year should be eaten soon before they send up a flower head. I'd leave the onions as they may be overwintering onion sets which will swell into full size onions. Are they about 15-20cm apart which would be right for onion sets. If they're very closely spaced then thin out to 15cm and use the thinning as salad onions. If they're overwintering onions from seed, they may well form big onions if thinned. worht a go :)

CazAmelia

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:43 »
yes they're about 20cm apart.  I might pick one or two and see what they're like, then leave the rest to see what happens then.  thanks

CazAmelia

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 10:45 »
Oh and the leeks I'll pick them and have them with our sunday dinner yum! :)

madcat

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 14:31 »
By this late on in the season they may well be a bit tough.  Go for a longer slower cook, rather than a quick steam.  ;)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

alibean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 17:36 »
Those leeks will be just the ticket in a bacon (or veggie bacon) suet pudding, with chips and gravy..mmmmm

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 17:49 »
yes they're about 20cm apart.  I might pick one or two and see what they're like, then leave the rest to see what happens then.  thanks

Have a scratch around one to see how deep the bulb is. It may be garlic which needs to be left in .

CazAmelia

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 20:16 »

Have a scratch around one to see how deep the bulb is. It may be garlic which needs to be left in .
[/quote]

Oh yes will do. altho i did rub the green leaves and they smelt very oniony so i think they are some sort of onion.
Those leeks will be just the ticket in a bacon (or veggie bacon) suet pudding, with chips and gravy..mmmmm
that sounds lovely - if you have the recipe I'll try that in the week thanks.

alibean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 20:44 »
Just mix up a basic suet pastry to required quantity  (half suet to seasoned sr flour and then add water).   Roll out into a large rectangle and cover with bacon and leeks (both slightly nuked in the microwave with a little butter).  Roll up into a sausage, make into a loose cracker with greaseproof paper and then tie up in muslin.  Steam for about an hour and a half until it looks done.
Sorry - but have never really measured exact quantities - call me an instinct cook!

Good luck!

Elcie

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 20:51 »
Lucky you getting a plot with veg!  Mine contained weeds, weeds oh and a raspberry bush that my son's friend 'helpfully' dug up, oh and more weeds!

I still have some leeks in the ground, had one the other day in a veg curry and it was lovely.  Am trying to leave them as want to see the flowers and think they will look nice!  So you could leave one or two for this if you want to unless you desperately need the space.  That way you will get seed too!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 21:16 »
suet pastry recipe here

Use to line a pudding basin, reserving enough for a lid. Fill with sliced leeks, salt and pepper and a knob of butter.Put on pastry lid.. steam for approx 2 hrs  :)

hamstergbert

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 14:15 »
Or chop up the whole things apart from the roots, green bits and all except where particularly tatty, add to spuds when boiling them up.  When mashing spuds afterwards with butter and a bit of pepper give it an extra whip up with your fork to eyeball that the leeky shreds are evenly-ish spread through the tatties.  Lovely.

You can of course do these in advance and then  send them for a ride in the bottom of the oven (with a thick smearing of butter on top first) when doing your casseroles etc.  Works particularly well, we find.

The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

xx
When are sweetcorn ready to pick?

Started by Catherine on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 10:48
by compostqueen
xx
Pod size, ready to pick?

Started by Growing4mykids on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 08:54
by BobE
xx
When are cucumbers ready to pick?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2019, 17:41
by Nobbie
xx
How do i know rhubarb is ready to pick ?

Started by Dan78 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 18:43
by Sharon

Page created in 0.775 seconds with 34 queries.