Nettle tea

• 5 Replies

Candide

• Experienced Member
Nettle tea
« on: May 29, 2022, 14:56 »
Had some brewing for about a month but its reaching peak aroma now things have warmed up.  Its redolent...takes me right back to teenage years, muckspreading on farm.  That was superceded by a slurry lagoon which was spread by pumping out thro a giant lawn sprinkler.  Now that lagoon really did pong.  We agreed that the smell gave us an appetite.
Adapt that Mackeson ad:  "Looks good, smells good and by golly it does the soil good"

Growster...

Re: Nettle tea
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 06:17 »
Great stuff, nettle tea!

I'm eying some along the roadside as we speak; it'll go well with the comfrey...

Candide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 06:34 »
Second thoughts - I might make that the only batch as plot neighbour politely remarked about it.  There's the genteel estate of semis over the fence to consider as well as the parade of shops half a mile away;  might affect their footfall.
Just planted 3 comfrey as well.  Probably use just as mulch or for compost heap.

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 07:54 »
I have an old kitchen bin down the allotment that I filled with seaweed and water back in December.  I'm pretty sure UN weapons inspectors would class it as a chemical weapon  now! I'm also a bit worried it is somewhat antisocial, so the next batch of seaweed will just be used as a mulch or on the heap.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 08:05 »
Had some brewing for about a month but its reaching peak aroma now things have warmed up.  Its redolent...takes me right back to teenage years, muckspreading on farm.  That was superceded by a slurry lagoon which was spread by pumping out thro a giant lawn sprinkler.  Now that lagoon really did pong.  We agreed that the smell gave us an appetite.
Adapt that Mackeson ad:  "Looks good, smells good and by golly it does the soil good"
Wonderful stuff! We use it on the brassicas. Free plant food plus the smugness that comes from putting weeds to good use- what's not to like? (Makes me gag though.)

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2022, 18:18 »
Just the other day, I took the lid off a five gallon bin, into which I'd been putting comfrey, nettles and several handfuls of 6X, (chicken manure fertilizer).

It came out the colour of thick black coffee, and as I'd actually forgotten that I'd put the 6X in afterwards, in a  holed plastic bag to steep it all, the residue was really quite benign! (It'd been there two years)!

I'm now wondering if I might top it all up with the new nettles and comfrey, but goodness knows how much to use when diluted...

Trial and error I guess, but maybe just a wine glass with a gallon should be the starting point!

(I'll wash the glass afterwards of course)!

xx
Nettle Tea

Started by Terry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 19:37
by sawnee
xx
nettle tea

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 08:35
by gavinjconway
xx
Nettle Tea

Started by moose on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 14:26
by Trillium
xx
Nettle Tea

Started by Nige2Plots on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 05, 2011, 14:06
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 37 queries.