sweetcorn - is this normal?!

• 4 Replies

Novice1984

sweetcorn - is this normal?!
« on: July 05, 2019, 11:18 »
Hi,

i havent grown swweetcorn before, and i was wondering if this is normal - maybe just the male part of the plant?

any advice would be great.  i have attached a close up of the part of the plant and also one further away to show the whole plants (seem to have a lot of side shoots)
corn.jpg
corn2.jpg
corn.jpg

Kleftiwallah

Re: sweetcorn - is this normal?!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 12:17 »
Good afternoon Novice1984,
your sweetcorn look O.K. and healthy to me although it's a little peculiar seeing tassles appearing quite so soon in the growth.  Is this what is worrying you?

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Novice1984

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 12:30 »
yeah, it was just to check that this was indeed the tassles, and that there arent really any noticeable cobs yet. Will just have to see i guess!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 12:47 »
The male tassels always appear before the female silks which when fertilised become the cobs (sometimes it's a close run thing wondering whether they will appear before all the pollen has been shed, but they seem to get it right most of the time.)  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 14:38 »
If it's any help I have to grow mine in the g-house because this area can get quite windy so it blows the pollen away from the emerging cob silks. When the tassels grow out of the tops they contain the pollen which fertilises the immature cobs beneath which look like fat side-shoots but they suddenly produce a silky growth which needs the pollen from the tassel to fall on them in order to fertilise and create the corn cob. When the tassels appear I tap the stems every day with a cane until there is no more pollen then I tap the stems for a day or so until any residual pollen on the leaves falls onto the silks. 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Is this normal? tomatoes

Started by knittywittywoo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 20:06
by knittywittywoo
xx
Is this a record or just normal?

Started by Briony on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 22:58
by Stripey_cat
xx
Onions - is this normal?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 12:08
by JohnB47
xx
Is it normal to be nervous?!! LOL

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 22:07
by Stripey_cat

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 38 queries.